1753804 Members
7404 Online
108805 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: SIM 5 email notifications

Alan Barber
Advisor

SIM 5 email notifications

I have been messing around with trying to get email notifications from Insight working and never get anything. I went ahead and created an Automatic Event Handling task to email for All systems and All events and never once do I get an email. We have a SMTP relay running sendmail and also an Exchange 2003 email system. Have tried both systems in the SMTP server using both Netbios names and IP. Is there some other configuration within Insight that I am missing? Any logs I can check to see if it is even trying to run and why it is not working? Every time I go into the Manage Tasks it always says Last Run as Never.? This is Insight Version 5 SP4. Thanks!
8 REPLIES 8
Alan Barber
Advisor

In addition to this, I may have figured out that it is my Attribute-driven event collection may have something to do with this. Of course i also do not see the Search criteria I want in there. Within the Systms by Status there is a sub category called Systems Hardware Critical. Not sure if this is a saved search I did or a system thing. Anyway, is there a way I can set the above category as one that is available in the Attribute-driven event collection drop down within Automatic Event Handling? Thanks again!
Rancher
Honored Contributor

I am using Version 5 SP4 and and Exchange 2003 e-mail system, and the alerts are working like a charm!

Make sure your e-mail settings are correct, with the sender's e-mail address actually one set up on your SMTP host. Also make sure your Cims server has permissions to send mail through the host.

When you are setting up your notifications, if you select Severity is critical, you will get the hardware notifications.
Alan Barber
Advisor

OK, so a simple SMTP relay cannot be used it must have an actual mailbox on the same server that is doing the SMTP routing? We have a clustered Exchange environment with a virtual server holding the mailboxes and then a bridgehead server that handles the actual routing connectors and SMTP but has no mailboxes. It does appear that I have gotten the event status set up right as they show to have tried to run when I set a test up but no notifications. Thanks for your response as well...you have been the only one for some time to give some input! Thanks!
Alan Barber
Advisor

This just keeps getting better. Now have figured out the SMTP. There was an instance where the server had port 25 blocked. That has been fixed and SMTP has been verified to work. Now email still is not going out though. When looking at task results it shows Job with status complete. Upon selecting one of the jobs to view details though the summary status says failed. Action is "Event was skipped, it was an old event" so I dare say even though it met the criteria I specified it just did not send the email. Any ideas on this one?

Thanks again!
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

First test is to recheck that you can get an SMTP conenction from the SIM Server to the e-mail server.
You can use telnet and specify port 25. You should be able to issue a HELO and get a reply.

Next configure an Event to e-mail on all Major Alerts. Go to a Remote Server. First check that SNMP is configured to send traps to the correct community name to your HPSIM Server. Then from Control panel and fire up the HP Management Agent GUI and use the send SNMP Trap.
This should generate a Major Event, your task should pick this up and fire off an e-mail.
Alan Barber
Advisor

Well the SMTP email has been verified as you said on port 25. As I mentioned though the "Test" event is shown in Insight and the Automatic Event Handling task shows that it has run in conjunction with the hardware status as critical but when looking at the task results the first segment says it completed but when I select one that says completed and then click for more details it brings up the Task instance results which states it failed. The Event Type is "Systems Insight Manager Events" and then in the "Action" it states "Event was skipped, it was an old event".? Thanks again to all of you who have given help with this!!
Alan Barber
Advisor

Basically can an email notification be set up only based on hardware status and not an event? So if the hardware status is critical, major, or minor, it will send an email notification. Seems like it should be simple but the selections in SIM are not allowing a soley system based by status selection for notification criteria. Again, thanks to all who have given input.
Rancher
Honored Contributor

Right off hand the only thing I can think of would be tedious and time-consuming to set up.
When you go to set up your Event, select Event Type instead of Severity, and then select "is." Then you can parse through all of the selections and choose all of the hardware related items. Not a good answer for you, I am sure:)