1753347 Members
5109 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: SIM 6.1 Warning!! OR HELP!!

Darrin Rawls
Respected Contributor

Yea, that just doesn't make sense. I had some folks try and repro this too over the last few days and have been unable to. Do you still have this in the failed state (assume not)? Or did support ask for a SIMCAPTURE file?
Brian Hahne
Regular Advisor

Support got a simcapture file. and the VCEM log.

I'm still down.. b/c I don't want to reinstall the OS if I don't have to. I'd prefer to just somehow get VCEM and SIM to uninstall, and then reinstall it all again.

Because if I have to reinstall, it's a manual reinstall because this box is our HP/Altiris RDP box also, and I won't be able to image it.. so I would have to do that ALL again, and that is a BIG BIG pain.

Darrin Rawls
Respected Contributor

Sure, understand. I'll try to synch with support over the files.
Brian Hahne
Regular Advisor

Well, it's back up and running.
With major kudos to support, Darrin Rawls, Kumar, Julio, Jorge and likely many others.

If anyone else finds the bug, it's fixable. Not sure what did it but it got me. :-)
Our install was a fresh copy of Windows that we put SIM 6.0 and ICE 6.0 on. The upgrade to 6.1 seemed to work but SIM was completely blank.

Turns out the database populated into 'master' in ms-sql, rather than populating into the existing sim database. Really odd. Anyway, it's back up and running..
opening calls on the other issues (VCRM, VMM and ISEE) that have dogged us for months.

Darrin Rawls
Respected Contributor

Thanks to Brian's help, we were able to understand the symptom. We are going to proactively pull the 6.1 version of SIM and update the installer to check for this condition (i.e. a SIM 6.1b coming soon). Since its an install related item, we'd rather be safe.

In the mean time, to proactively check for this condition (if you already have the 6.1 bits), do this:

1. Verify the existence of the following key in the registry:

a. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Wow6432Node\ODBC\ODBC.INI\Insight_v50_0. There should be a 'Database' item with the name of a database, such as 'Insight_v50_0_16143978' (the number at the end is random).

b.In the unlikely event it's not there, put the "Insight..." db name into the key.

2. Run the installer as usual.

If you already have HPSIM 6.1 installed (fresh or upgrade) correctly, there is nothing additionally needed to do (you didn't have the issue).
Nicolai Rasmussen
Regular Advisor

It's very nice to see that there's actually a bunch of dedicated HP Support guys working on this. Of course if the installation didnt require DBO access to the master db to begin with, this wouldn't have happened. My DBA guys freak out everytime I do a SIM upgrade, because the HPSIM user has to be sysadmin on the entire db instance. This particular incident just tells me that their concerns are actually very substantiated :)

I take it this is only a problem if you run HPSIM on x64?
Joseph Harlan
Occasional Advisor

Interestingly enough, I noticed this before I started to plan our upgrade to 6.1(b) from 6.0. I was poking around looking at some things I recall being "twitchy" on SIM 5.3 and I ran into an empty System DSN tab in ODBC. I too am running on Windows 2008 R2 with another server providing SQL 2008 services. Is it possible that something caused the ODBC connections to drop off, or are they no longer required to be set in the System DSN tab of ODBC? My first thought was that SIM was using some internal mechanism for reaching the DB's.

All this being said, I am now having an issue with upgrading from the Insight Software DVD 6.1b that happens during the install wizard right after I enter my SIM service credentials and click next.

SIM Short version: C.06.00 - SIM long version: C.06.00.00
USING SOAP API FOR C.06.00.00 : Peabody
Trying logon with AMER\_svcSIMwin
Error authenticating AMER\_svcSIMwin on HPSIM: System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapException: javax.ejb.EJBException: java.lang.RuntimeException: java.lang.AssertionError
at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.ReadResponse(SoapClientMessage message, WebResponse response, Stream responseStream, Boolean asyncCall)
at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.Invoke(String methodName, Object[] parameters)
at ConfigUtils.Peabody.MxpiMainService.logon(String username, String password)
at ConfigUtils.ICWebServices.SimSoap._SimLogon(String user, String pass)
at ConfigUtils.ICWebServices.SimSoap.Logon(String user, String pass)
Authentication failed!
RETURN CODE: -2008

I am opening a case in the morning. When I finally figure it out, I will post the solution here.
Joseph Harlan
Occasional Advisor

So after further checking, I realized that we were using IP Sign-on Restrictions for the service account set in Security > Users and Authorizations so that the service account could only login locally on the SIM Server itself and never be used remotely. I removed the restrictions, and the issue went away and the install is now continuing. Whew!
Lawrance Lee_1
HPE Pro

Hi Joseph,

Where do I check the settings for this IP Sign on Restriction parameter that you are referring to?

I work for HPE.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo