1752519 Members
5254 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

SIM 6.1 Warning!! OR HELP!!

Tuscani_1
Frequent Advisor

Re: SIM 6.1 Warning!! OR HELP!!

Unreal.. c'mon HP.. why does everything with SIM have to be so difficult and cumbersome!
Brian Hahne
Regular Advisor

HP support looked at VCEM logs.. looks like it upgraded VCEM, then failed, rolled it back.. but didn't FULLY roll it back? I'm not really sure.
VCEM will not uninstall. SIM won't uninstall because VCEM won't uninstall first.

They took a simcapture log and are looking at it.

A few interesting comments, the tech I spoke with said they will involve engineering in this... also that they've seen some installation issues.. and also that a manual VCEM uninstall may be required but they don't like to do that on 2008.

fun fun fun...

Darrin Rawls
Respected Contributor

Do you have a support case for either the initial report or this latest one? I'd like to go follow up and see what is going on. You can email me directly at firstname.lastname@hp.com

We haven't seen these issues internally, and we have done tons of installs, upgrades, etc with SIM along along with full VCEM, Insight Control, and Insight Dynamics stacks.

Has any of your credentials rights changed; maybe that OS user you were logged in as didn't have dbo rights or something?
Brian Hahne
Regular Advisor

We do have a case opened.
Pablo Curco has it right now.

No credentials changed, and no rights changed.. It was the strangest thing. I mean the install ran, and upgraded and SEEMED fine. The VCEM upgrade failed and said some domains were being worked on and to reinstall later.

Went into SIM when the upgrade was done.. and it was essentially blank.
Still in a stuck position, Pablo recommended taking a registry key out for checkVCDomains, but that still didn't let me uninstall.

In an unmonitored situation in my dc's now, which I don't like.. b/c we have 500+ servers and really rely on SIM to look out for our hardware.

The case was 4616843896, but that got swapped to something else b/c that was the case our field tech (Kent Gardner) opened up.
The new case that Pablo has is 4616844244.

Darrin Rawls
Respected Contributor

Okay thanks, checking on another thread, and I saw that one person had DEP enabled for everything. Do you have that enabled? SIM/VCEM/ID/ID just needs it enabled for windows components only (not the default either :( ).
Brian Hahne
Regular Advisor

Not sure what that is
Brian Hahne
Regular Advisor

Found it.
set to on for essential windows programs and services only.
Darrin Rawls
Respected Contributor

Data Execution Prevention. The easiest way to get there (2008) is right mouse click on Computer, Advanced System Settings, Performance, the Data Execution tab and make sure its turned on for only essential windows components.
Darrin Rawls
Respected Contributor

Hmm, okay, thanks.
Brian Hahne
Regular Advisor

Yeah, we seem to be set properly, for windows settings only.
The SIM6.0 install we had, for a long time, was working fine.... nothing changed.
It was the 6.1 install over the top of 6.0 that killed us.