4887 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: SIM 7.0 - Software Status Polling doesn't update status

shereepdx
Occasional Contributor

SIM 7.0 - Software Status Polling doesn't update status

Hi all,

My software status polling runs, and everything comes back green in Task Results.  I go back to the list, and it's not updated.  I log out/back in, still not updated.

Any ideas?

20 REPLIES 20
shocko
Honored Contributor

I think this might be a bug in SIM 7.0. Others are having the same issue on this forum.

If my post was helpful please award me Kudos! or Points :)
jim goodman
Trusted Contributor

I didn't have a sw status show up either - I did use the new track and manage baselines feature, set my baseline and recieved an expected status after a software status poll. From what I can tell from the docs, should still get it via VCA/VCRM connection.

I think theres 2 seperate system now, VCA. and the GEN8 software updates process.

Hence why in an enclosure list thw icon of the SW coloumn takes you to the baseline. but on a server page the SW link takes you to the appropriate VCA.

shereepdx
Occasional Contributor

Now that I've had a bit more time to play with (and get very frustrated with) SIM, I'm thinking that it's because it was a fresh install.  I actually replicated it with 6.3 on a fresh install.

In my experience, out-of-the-box installs chew up RAM until the server becomes unresponsive, usually within a day.  The clients try to poll the (unresponsive) VCRM, and when they can't connect, they put a "can't connect to VCRM" entry in their log, which SIM picks up and displays.  So you see the same list of white "information" icons and figure nothing happened.

So, if it's going to be like that, how do I force my clients to poll the VCRM once it becomes available again?  I don't see anywhere to configure a polling frequency.

shereepdx
Occasional Contributor

(I got it all working again by logging on to each client manually and forcing it to poll.  Is there an automated way to do that?

jim goodman
Trusted Contributor

I don't understand the chewing up RAM, I install SIM full time for a living in extremely large environments and I never "chew up" RAM to any crippling degree unless I am violating good installation practice and pre-reqs. You'll have to fill in some blanks for me.

If one of you have an active case with HP for the Status Polling problem being discussed please pass that on to me so I can pass it on. I have replicated my incedent internally and it is being looked at by lab.

Bart_Heungens
Honored Contributor

I installed SIM 7 also last week in a quite large environment and find it correctly working, compared to 6.3, except for the software status polling task...

Effectively software status updates do not come thru, tried all the possible ways...

Think that I will open up a case also...

Kr,

Bart

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If my post was useful, clik on my KUDOS! "White Star" !
jim goodman
Trusted Contributor

Here is the official bottom line

SIM7 doesn't provide SW Status the way we are use too - I was told it did, but had a developer set me straight. The SW Status comes from the Track SW and FW Tool no longer from the VCA.

The tool will poll the VCRM for baselines and custom baselines so nothing is lost there.

This is a positive change from my perspective and a long asked for enhancement to get away from the VCA. Positive change, poorly communicated and poorly documented but has now been brought to product management attention.

So, all of my grief was needless it all is working just as it is supposed to oy vey :/

The changing of technology and how the new management methodology will flesh itself out but it is going to take awhile to get a solid knowledge base set internally and with our external customers. Thanks for bearing with us through this turning of the page. I work with this stuff everyday and if it isn't communicated adequately I find out about it along with the rest of you as I run into it.

Bart_Heungens
Honored Contributor

James,

OK if it is not the VCA status anymore, thought already that it would be something like that...

However if it is reflecting the attached baseline, even then there should be a regular check running (software status polling) that checks that there is something updated or not...

Now I attached a baseline to a server which reports yellow, I update the server component so that the server in the VCA ends up green but the SW column with the baseline stays yellow...

There must be some kind of trigger to use...

Kr,

Bart

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If my post was useful, clik on my KUDOS! "White Star" !