5406 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: SIM 7.2 event reporting

BuddyD
Frequent Advisor

SIM 7.2 event reporting

Hi folks,

I can't seem to get the CMS to update the event log. If I "disable" a redundant power supply on a HP DL380 G7 I see the minor notification in the System Status box, as well as in the HS column next to the affected server. However, nothing gets logged to the Events summary so needless to say, no email/pager alert is received. It is reporting log in and log out events, as well as non-pingable systems.

What did I miss??!

Thanks in advance.

BuddyD

21 REPLIES 21
BPE
Esteemed Contributor

By default there is no email from such events.  You need to check your Event handling Tasks. To see what kind of event will send you an email or log to the event log.

BuddyD
Frequent Advisor

Thanks for the response, but no matter what I do, the event never gets reported to the event log and that's the problem. I'm getting emails when I log in or log out because THAT gets reported to the event log. But major, minor hardware events do not. So I guess my question is, where is this controlled?

Yes, I'm new to SIM so...please excuse my lack of knowledge re: the product.

Thanks again.

J_N_Rhodes
Valued Contributor

BuddyD

Enable E-mail Notifications in HP SIM

Carry out the following:

Options > Events > Automatic event handling > E-mail Setings

and input your SMTP Server details etc. You will notice on this screen there is only the option to send a test e-mail.

To set up the event notification:

Options > Events > Automatic event handling > New task

you can now go through the wizard and define which systems, which events, e-mail recipients etc.

If my post was useful, please clik on "White Star" to award me kudos :)

BuddyD
Frequent Advisor

Thanks for the response, J-N.  I can successfully send myself test email, this has worked without issue right along. To your second recommendation for setting up event notifications: I've created an all events, all systems, send email and write to system log event handler and saved it.

When I pull the plug on one of my DL380 G7 ESXi servers, I observe the "minor" icon in system status in SIM increment to 1, alerting me to a problem. If I then go to all systems, I see the "minor" icon displayed in the HS column of the affected server. If I then click on Events, and under View "all events", there is no indication/report of a "minor" problem. The only "events" being reported/logged by the CMS seems to be "informational", "critical" or "normal". "Major", "Minor" and "Warning" are not being logged/reported and this is the whole problem.

Is this a "bug/feature" or have I missed something obvious??! Has anyone else run into this and been able to get it resolved?

Again, thanks for the response, J_N.

LGentile
Trusted Contributor

You didn't mention ESXi until now.  This may be due to needing to subscribe to WBEM events.

Select your ESXi host, go to Options - Events - Subscribe to WBEM events and run the task.  Perform the PSU test again and see if the event appears.

For ESXi, SNMP is not adequate, it requires you to subscribe to WBEM events so SIM will accept them.  You can even create an event handler to auto-subscribe when new ESXi hosts are added to a specific collection.  This is what i've done.

BuddyD
Frequent Advisor

Thanks LGentile. I have done this over the past week or so with no luck. As you mention, my research showed that I needed to use WBEM and not SNMP and I have subscribed a number of times with the same result.

I will run through it one more time, but it seems to me if the ESXi events show up on the CMS (Win) host, it's not a communication issue and WBEM is operating as it should. Again, why is SIM failing to report/log events such as I've mentioned before. I was hoping this would be the easy piece, HP hardware talking to HP software....

Thanks again for the response/help, I'll update if anything changes.

Tushar Bajpai
Trusted Contributor

Health Status gets updated based on Hardware status polling and AOE ( Action On Event) Email / Event log is triggered when an trap / Indication is encourted by the CMS.

Please verify if there is any Trap / Indication that got logged.

From the description it looks like CMS didn't recieved any thing and so no AOE.

if it helped, award me Kudos or Points. Thanks :)

\T Bajpai
HP Employee

BuddyD
Frequent Advisor

Thank you, Tushar.

Where/how does the System and Health status get separated from the Event logging? WBEM is updating the first two, why doesn't the CMS log the event and/or where is this controlled? I am unable to find it in any menu/pull down.

LGentile
Trusted Contributor

I haven't encountered this issue before. Normally once I can see health status and subscribe to events, the notifications/events come in OK.

You may need to resort to a packet sniffing tool like Wireshark to see if your CMS is actually getting the messages. Unfortunately, for WBEM I am not aware of a way to intercept the messages with another tool. If it were SNMP you can set up the SNMP trap service (assuming your CMS is Windows), but in this case that wouldn't help you.

You said something strange earlier.. so you ARE getting Minor events, just not major/critical? A power supply removal is 'Major' or 'Critical' i believe. Can you paste the event text here? What I am asking is - is the PSU removal event actually showing up, but only as a minor event? Just for clarification...