1748123 Members
3316 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: SIM 7.2 ignoring SNMP replies?

LindsayHill
Honored Contributor

SIM 7.2 ignoring SNMP replies?

We have HP SIM installed on Windows 2008 R2. Yesterday it was upgraded from 7.1 to 7.2.

Since the upgrade, System Identification tasks fail for SNMP-based systems. If WMI/WBEM is in use, that works. But SNMP is always reported as not working. This was working immediately prior to the upgrade, so it's not a problem with the remote systems.

If I use Wireshark to look at the SNMP traffic, I can see SIM send out SNMP requests, followed by a valid reply from the device. SIM seems to ignore that reply though, as 5s later it sends out the same request, then gives up after another 5s. (This is the global default 5s wait, 1 retry). The firewall is not running on this server, so it is not that dropping replies.

Any ideas why SNMP responses are not being properly processed? SNMP traps seem to be correctly processed - they are displayed as Events.

I haven't yet found anything in any logs that indicates why it's failing.

2 REPLIES 2
LindsayHill
Honored Contributor

And just to add - this is with SNMPv1/v2. SNMPv3 is now disabled globally on this SIM server.
LindsayHill
Honored Contributor

I looked at a backup copy of globalSettings.props, and saw that "JavaSnmpStack=false" had changed to 'true' when the system was upgraded. I changed it back to false, and restarted SIM. Now it is correctly identifying devices.

I haven't been able to find any documentation about what this parameter does. Anyone know?