7094 Online
108809 Solutions
New Discussion

SIM 7.3 reporting bad serial number on C7000, enclosure midplane serial number

witchy
Advisor

SIM 7.3 reporting bad serial number on C7000, enclosure midplane serial number

Folks,

I logged this before  but under a different account so I can't bump it.

Scenario: SIM 7.3 running on a VM, brand new install. I let it discover our C7000s and the result is exactly the same as a SIM 7.0 install on a different box.

For one C7000 all is well, it's happy with the name (c7000trs) and serial number. For another it drags out a name that's not registered anywhere that I can see - c7000cen_1z34ab7890 and objects to that serial number even though that's the serial number reported by the OA web interface AND CLI.

OA-Active> show enc info

Enclosure Information:
        Enclosure Name: C7000Cen
        Enclosure Type: BladeSystem c7000 Enclosure
        Part Number: 412152-B21
        Serial Number: xxxxxxxxxx
        UUID: 091Z34AB7890
        Asset Tag:
        Midplane Spare Part Number: 414050-001
        Solutions ID: 0000000000000000
        Power Distribution Unit:
                PDU Type: HP AC Module, Single Phase
                PDU Spare Part Number: 413494-001
        Onboard Administrator Tray Information:
                Type: HP BladeSystem c7000 Onboard Administrator Tray
                Spare Part Number: 416000-001
                Serial Number: xxxxxxxxxx

That name_serial up there isn't in DNS, it's simply c7000cen. Its SNMP name is c7000cen, it's Enclosure Name is c7000cen. The serial number is correct as I've done a warranty check against it, I wondered if it should start with CZ instead of 1Z but no.

I'm now going to start getting 'serial number on your replaced midplane should be reprogrammed' messages.

Has anyone seen this before? I figured a new VM with new OS and latest SIM might fix it but no.

Cheers

Adrian

P.S. This thread has been moved from BladeSystem > Management Software to ITRC HP Systems Insight Manager Forum.  Also for your security, I have removed the serial number from your post - that's information you probably don't want to make publicly available.- Hp Forum Moderator

4 REPLIES 4
witchy
Advisor

Re: SIM 7.3 reporting bad serial number on C7000, enclosure midplane serial number

just for giggles I've just snmpwalk'd the entire output of that enclosure, and c7000cen_1z34ab7890 isn't mentioned.

voodoo!

witchy
Advisor

Re: SIM 7.3 reporting bad serial number on C7000, enclosure midplane serial number

aaaand now SIM has decided not to visualise that enclosure even though it did half an hour ago and the whole setup is a only couple of hours old.

Andrew_Haak
Honored Contributor

Hello there,

The enclosure information is mainly found with the XML reply it get from discovering the enclosure. This reply can be en or disabled. Did you change the XML setting ? The XML is reachable by typing the following url

I go to link https://oaip/xmldata?item=all where the oaip should be remplaceer by your Onboard admin op adres.

Kind regards,

Andrew
Kind regards,

Andrew
witchy
Advisor

By sheer fluke on wednesday I discovered that 1Z34AB7890 is a generic fake serial number despite a warranty check showing it as real.

The XML data is showing correctly, but even now that I've changed the serial to the correct one on the front of the enclosure it's still showing in SIM as 'c7000cen_serial' while the other one is just showing as c7000trs.

I'm baffled.

A