Simpler Navigation for Servers and Operating Systems - Please Update Your Bookmarks
Completed: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We combined many of the older boards, so you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. Check the consolidated boards here as many sub-forums are now single boards.
If you have bookmarked forums or discussion boards in Servers and Operating Systems, we suggest you check and update them as needed.
Server Management - Systems Insight Manager
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SIM 7.4 - problem with alerts on Physical Drive Status Change

smamm
Contributor

SIM 7.4 - problem with alerts on Physical Drive Status Change

Strange problem.   I just got a new installation of SIM 7.4 up and running and I noticed that a bad disk didn't generate an email alert (like all of our other events).

I checked SNMP Trap Settings, and confirmed that the below event type was already enabled and set to Critical:

Mib Name:   cpqida.mib

Trap Name: cpqDa7PhyDrvStatusChange 

Event Type:   (SNMP) Physical Drive Status Change (3046)

Enable Trap Handling:  Yes

Category:  Proliant Storage Events

Severity:  Critical

We have automatic event handling activated for the "Important Events" default collection, which includes the "Proliant Storage Events" category.

But yet, I never got an email alert on this event:

(SNMP) Physical Drive Status Change (3046)

The system has been fully discovered, and other email alerts have generated on it successfully in recent weeks.  HOWEVER, the above alert was categorized as a "Warning", which contradicts the severity assigned to it above.   I've got to be missing something here.   Anyone have an idea as to what may be wrong?

1 REPLY
LGentile
Trusted Contributor

Re: SIM 7.4 - problem with alerts on Physical Drive Status Change

smamm,

Please see this thread, it may help:  http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/ITRC-HP-Systems-Insight-Manager/change-the-severity-of-an-event-in-HP-SIM-7-4/td-p/6680762#.VK6c63tlyYs

As a workaround for storage/"status change" events, you may want to set up a specific condition or collection to send you all non-informational events for these.  Basically, without reading the thread I linked, these are special events where you cannot change the underlying severity.  For example, a predictive failure may always be a warning, however it is the same event ID # used for a failure condition, which would be critical (event 3046).  There are a few of these types.. another would be the status for RAID cache batteries. 

A further example:

HDD failure = failure code 7, event ID 3046 - Status change for a physical drive (critical)

HDD PFA = failure code 9, event ID 3046 - Status change for a physical drive (warning)

HDD online = failure code 0, event ID 3046 - Status change for a physical drive (informational)

These are not the correct failure codes, but you get the idea here..  it's all the same event number.  I am not an SNMP/MIB expert so I can't fully explain this behavior, I just know you cannot change the code behavior in SIM.

Hope this helps!