1753894 Members
7459 Online
108809 Solutions
New Discussion

SIM Alerts

tjg091
Occasional Advisor

SIM Alerts

I have installed SIM 7.3 on Windows Server 2008 R2 for the first time and am running into a few issues. Under all servers in the  manager console, I see some Windows servers, but not all. Do any software components need to be installed on Windows servers? I want to use WBEM as the protocol to communicate between thye SIM server and servers. In addition, one of the servers that does show in the management console, did not generate an alert when I unplugged one of the power cords from the dual pwr supply server. The SMTP test does work but I received no email on this event. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

TJ

5 REPLIES 5
n0kia
Valued Contributor

Re: SIM Alerts

Did you subscribe to wbem events?

Any server using wbem windows or esxi you will need to subscribe to wbem events

Options > Events> Subscribe to wbem events.

You can test the events afterwards with the hp wbem test tool on your target machine.

Andrew_Haak
Honored Contributor

You could try the search option in this forum but let me get you started.

You need to have agents on the servers you want to discover. The package you need is called a SPP, you can find that software here :

http://h17007.www1.hp.com/us/en/enterprise/servers/products/service_pack/spp/index.aspx

this is a large package as it also contains drivers and firmware for all HP servers etc. If possible you should update your servers with this package. This is not required, hou can also download a small part that only contains the management agents you need. The packages you need depend on your operating systems, linux windows or ESX.

you would need management agents, ghese can also be downloaded for ghe HP website, i will past a link to the management agent below, it states for dl380 G7 but can be used for most of the HP series servers.

System Management Homepage:

http://h18013.www1.hp.com/products/servers/management/agents/

Management agent:(Windows x64):

http://h20566.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/template.PAGE/public/psi/swdDetails/?javax.portlet.begCacheTok=com.vignette.cachetoken&javax.portlet.endCacheTok=com.vignette.cachetoken&javax.portlet.prp_bd9b6997fbc7fc515f4cf4626f5c8d01=wsrp-navigationalState%3Didx%253D%257CswItem%253DMTX_1e1726120857459796167b692e%257CswEnvOID%253D4024%257CitemLocale%253D%257CswLang%253D%257Cmode%253D%257Caction%253Ddr...

You can also download the System Management Homepage there. There are also linux and esx versions of these agents. Once installed you need to configure the agents so that HP SIM can discover the servers.

You will also need credentials root rights for UNIX and ESX and admin rights for Windows servers. Once all credentials work you can run repairs for these servers to set SNMP read and trap settings. You will also need to set WBEM subscriptions for Windows and ESX 4.2 and aboven. Lower versions use SNMP.

This should point you in the right direction, if you get stuck let us know where you stranded and we'll where we can help you from there.

Kind regards,

Andrew
tjg091
Occasional Advisor

Andrew,

I have applied the SPP to 2 servers in my test environment and the only time I get an alert is when I shutdown the one of the servers. I have unplugged one of the power cables, took out a power supply, and even a hard drive but no alerts ever are display or send via email. What am I missing here?

LGentile
Trusted Contributor

Have you set up any event handlers for the alerts?

The alert/event collections will show you what is happening in your envirnoment, but if you have not set up any actions on them, you will not get any emails/etc by default.  You must set up event handlers to "do something" under certain conditions.

For example, you can create a handler that only looks at your major and critical events and tell it to send you an email.  My setup is a little complex because I have event collections that match specific system collections that I set up (one for Windows on HP servers, one for ESXi on HP servers, and another with Windows on Dell servers).  Then my event collections only show specific events that match those system collections.  In those collections, is set up event handlers to send OM messages into Operations Manager and emails to me.  This allows me a lot of control over what events have actions and it's worked well for me, for many years.

Look for event handlers in the systems guide and it should help you out.

Andrew_Haak
Honored Contributor

Hello again,

Now that you've installed the SPP you need to tell your server where to send the SNMP or WBEM events to. That would be the SIM server. Depending on your OS it can be either  SNMP on Linux or older ESX servers or WBEM on windows servers.

For SNMP you need to configure SNMP  to send traps to the SIM server, for WBEM you need to set a WBEM subscription from SIM. If you need more info how to set these let me know.

Kind regards,

Andrew