108809 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: SIM Database - SQL Versions/Sizing

SOLVED
Go to solution
sgunelius
Trusted Contributor

SIM Database - SQL Versions/Sizing

Good morning. I have a relatively small environment of 50+ ProLiant servers that I would like to monitor using SIM, but I think a full-blown version of SQL Server would be overkill. Is MSDE or SQL Server 2005 Express Edition supported as the database for a SIM implementation? Thank you in advance for your responses.
4 REPLIES 4
Joel Rubenstein
Honored Contributor

yes, MSDE is supported but not recommended for environments larger than 500 servers.
sgunelius
Trusted Contributor

Joel,

Thank you for your prompt response. Would I be correct in assuming the capacity limitation of 500 monitored servers applies to SQL Server 2005 Express Edition as well?

Scott
Joel Rubenstein
Honored Contributor
Solution

Scott,

I don't know specifically about SQL Server 2005 Express Edition. The latest release of SIM 5 SP5 supports MSDE, SQL 2000, SQL 2005 and Oracle 9i. If you are not going to use SQL 2000, SQL 2005 or Oracle I would recommend to install the version of MSDE that is bundled with SIM.
sgunelius
Trusted Contributor

Joel,

Thank you again for your response. I may have to revisit the idea of using SQL Server now because I would like to support the instances for SIM and our VMware VirtualCenter console (MSDE is supported, but not for production environments) on the same server.

From what I understand, VMware regards SQL Server 2005 Express Edition much the same as MSDE and therefore I wouldn't be operating a supported environment (not a good career move for me...). Thanks again.

Scott