108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

SIM Events not coming through

SOLVED
Go to solution
Jade Reynolds
Advisor

SIM Events not coming through

I have configure SIM and can see all systems ok. When hardware statsu changes it is reflected in SIM. however I have configured automatic event handling to alert when specific events occur. I have configured SNMP community strings, on agent and in SIM. SNMP Trap service is running, agent can contact the SIM server ok.

I am not getting any events come through, I have tried sending test traps from the agent, and also pulling a disk out of the server to simulate a failed disk. Still nothing.

The only events that do occur are system unreachable, but not anything from the remote agent.

What am I missing, what else do I need to configure.

Thanks
12 REPLIES 12
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

Re: SIM Events not coming through

If a remote Server has a problem (e.g. disk failed) it send the Trap. So in SNMP you need to configure the Trap Destination to point to the HPSIM Server.

using the HP Management Agent GUI can test this, when you send a Trap it should turn up in HPSIM as Generic Trap with a status of Major.
If it doesn't then you don't have SNMP on the sending server configured correctly.

It also needs a community name that HPSIM recognises.
Jade Reynolds
Advisor

SNMP is configured both on the agent and and the SIM server. I have configured the remote server and agent to use SIM as the community string and SIM is an accepted community string on the SIM server.
Steve Kadish
Trusted Contributor

Hi Jade,

Try downloading and installing the latest set of SIM MIBs from the HP Web site. Your MIBs might be deprecated.

If that doesn't work, you might want to install a sniffer in line with or on the SIM machine to determine whether the packets are reaching the box at all.

Good luck,
- Steve
Jade Reynolds
Advisor

Hi

The install of SIM is vesion 5 downloaded last week. I will try and get the new MIBs.

One thing I notice is that I cannot telnet to port 161 or 162 on the SIM server.
Steve Kadish
Trusted Contributor

Those should be the latest MIBs. Have you double-checked the security on your SNMP service, to make sure that it is accepting packets from the appropriate hosts?

- Steve
Jade Reynolds
Advisor

Steve

I am currently importing the latest MIBs into SIM.

The SNMP security does appear to be correct, I have just tried a test. I ran an application called snmp trap watcher on the SIM server (after stopping the SNMP trap service). I have succesfully sent a test trap to this application from the remote server. So I can clarify traps are getting to the correct place.
Jade Reynolds
Advisor

MIBs loaded, still no difference
Steve Kadish
Trusted Contributor

Hi Jade,

I'm afraid I'm out of suggestions. I think your best bet would be a packet sniffer.

Good luck,
- Steve
Joel Rubenstein
Honored Contributor
Solution

To quickly determine if the SIM server is receiving the traps you can use the snmputil.exe utility from the MS resource kit. I have attached a copy. Just place it on the SIM CMS , open a command prompt and run it with snmputil trap.

All incoming traps will be displayed like the example below

C:\temp>snmputil trap
snmputil: listening for traps...
Incoming Trap:
generic = 6
specific = 11003
enterprise = .iso.org.dod.internet.private.enterprises.compaq
agent = 15.99.30.44
source IP = 15.99.30.44
community = public
variable = system.sysName.0
value = String AETDL580