Server Management - Systems Insight Manager
1753469 Members
5275 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: SIM Hardware Alerts via Email - What did I do wrong?

Mike GT
Occasional Contributor

SIM Hardware Alerts via Email - What did I do wrong?

I can see all of my new HP Servers in SIM that I installed on 1 server. If it sees the servers and I have my email settings and alerts set to notify me of critical events, shouldn't I receive emails?

I had BOTH power supplies in a DL380 die at the same time last week. very strange, as the 2 other DL380s on the shared UPS were unaffected. I got notification that the system was not able to be contacted (well, it was tunred off). When I got to the office, i re-seated both Power Supplies, and moved the power source to another UPS. I got one to turn back on for abotu 30 minutes before it died again. Checking the logs, PS #1 failed about an hour before PS #2 failed. I got no notifications for it, just when the systme turned off. All I really need SIM for is to alert me via email when I have a dying or failed hard drive or Power Supply so I can get my part out here in 4 hours per my CarePack. Do I have my event level set wrong for get notification of events like power and hard drive events? I can't find out this simple question from the SIM documentation.

Hoping it is something stupid I am missing. I am very new to HP servers (used to buy all Dell) and SIM. So far I have about 5 DL380s, 5 DL320s and a DL360 that arrives tomorrow. I want to make sure I am able to be alerted when ANY of them have a hardware failure so I can hop on it immediately. I love the iLo Advanced Pack too. Awesome product. Far better than Dell DRACs.

Sorry for the long message and thanks in advance for any replies.
9 REPLIES 9
desijat
Advisor

If you setup automatic event handling emails, you should be able to see the results of the tasks/emails i.e. within SIM you can see if the task completed properly and sent an email (Options - Events - Automatic Event Handling)
James ~ Happy Dude
Honored Contributor

Hello Mike,
In Other words there are 2 aspects to it.
1) Setting the email details correctly. This can be done at :
Options>Events>Automatic Event Handling>Email Settings.

2) Configuring an automatic event handling. So as to send an email/sms to the recipient for certain events. This can be done at :
Options>Events>Automatic Event Handling.

For more detail refer the User guide:
h10018.www1.hp.com/wwsolutions/misc/hpsim-helpfiles/hpsim_userguide_51.pdf
from Page 52 onwards.

Happy SIM(ing) !!
Mike GT
Occasional Contributor

Thanks guys. Gonna check this out now.

It looks like the SIM discovered most of my HP servers. Why might it have missed some? Does a certain firewall port need to be opened for the server to be discoverable? Or is this SNMP based?
James ~ Happy Dude
Honored Contributor

Mike,
Make sure that managed systems have the HP Version Control Agent (VCA) installed before running the Configure or Repair Agents feature to configure them. If not, install PSP on all servers you intend to manage thru SIM & then RUN Configure or Repair Settings > this enables you to select options to configure the target system. Its SNMP.

By Default SIM uses SSL port # 50000; Make sure its not conflicting with any other program you use.

Regards.
MatthewM

I'm experiencing the same problem. I get unreachable/reachable alerts emailed out but all others are no longer being sent. I say "no longer" because I was getting them but since upgrading to SIM 5.1 (build C.05.01.00.00) I haven't received any...although I have had multiple hardware components fail.

Just to verify, I did a test by manually failing a PSU. The status changed in SIM (and on the systems mgmt homepage)but I never received the SMTP alert. I've been through my my Event Handling settings and nothing has changed.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Since I typically have a console open I've managed to catch a few critical drive and PSU failures but had I not, I would have missed them.

Thanks!

Matthew
Carlsberg
Frequent Advisor

Hey ,
Check these things.
1.Make sure that you have HP Management agents installed.
2. Make sure that you have SNMP configured correctly.
3. Login to System Management homepage on the server -> Settings ->SNMP and send a test trap.
4. Login to SIM - > All events and check if the test trap you sent was received.

If not , restart the HP SIM service.

I've had an issue where SIM has just stopped receiving SNMP traps , restarting the service is a workaround for that.

You prolly have setup your email notifications correctly as you are receiving 'unreachable' events. These are part of default 'important events' that include also critical and major level SNMP traps.
MatthewM

Thanks for the tip. While it didn't fix the problem it did point out that I'm not receiveing traps to the console so at least I'm starting to get somewhere.

On the managed systems the SNMP settings are good and the trap destinations all point to my SIM. It's just weird that I'll pick up the status change event but never get a notification.
Carlsberg
Frequent Advisor

No probs ,
I would doublecheck also that accepted SNMP community strings match , make sure it has read/write permission,ensure that accept snmp packets has localhost and the SIM server specified and that traps are also configured with the right community name and destination.If all those match , then use snmputil or other SNMP tool to verify that your SIM server and managed servers are communicating snmp properly.
Suspect firewall if not.
MatthewM

Thanks for the help! The issue has been resolved. Apparently there were issues on the network side that caused the 'blackhole-ing' of SNMP traffic to a corrupt MAC address. Traps were never making it to the SIM server. Once it was cleared up I was flooded with alerts. Which was both a good and bad thing... :)