New Discussion юеВ

Re: SIM - Manage HPUX servers

SOLVED
Go to solution
Fabrizio Maggioni_2
Super Advisor

SIM - Manage HPUX servers

Hi,

I am working on SIM 5, and i would like to fully monitor hpux servers.
I add 2 HPUX systems using manually discovery, and then i run the "configure or repair agent" utility.
They are HPUX OS 11.00 and 11i V1,so the WBEM method is non supported.I configure only the SNMP protocols.

I would like to know how can i implement monitor on the hardware component.First i use EMS and all works fine.Is there any other way to instruct SNMP agent to monitor the hardware compnent on HPUX managed systems?

Thanks.
Fabrizio
15 REPLIES 15
LukaS_9
Regular Advisor

Hi Fabrizio,
are you sure wbem doesn't work in hpux 11.11?
We manage several vPars with HPUX 11 v1.
The wbem version installed on these systems is A.02.00.09 and it seems to work fine :)

regards
Luca
sandeep_raman
Honored Contributor

Hello Fabrizio,

Not sure if you checked http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00674302/c00674302.pdf

Configuring the managed servers
Pg 2 of 17.

WBEM can be used as mentioned by Luca alongwith DMI and SNMP.

SRH
Fabrizio Maggioni_2
Super Advisor

Hi,
Into docuemnt "WBEM Event Subscriptions for HP-UX systems managed by HP SIM 5.0" is reported:

WBEM indications can be configured on the following system types and operating system levels:
├в ┬в System types
a. PA-RISC
b. Integrity Servers
├в ┬в HP-UX Operating Systems
c. 11.0 ├в not available
d. 11i v1 ├в not available
e. 11i v2 update 2 (PA and Integrity)
├в ┬в Linux operating systems WBEM indications are not presently supported on Linux

Can you help me to understand how WBEM works.If you say it works i can try to reinstall and configure it.I do it yesterday and during agent configuration i got this error " No valid path to talk to CIMOM".

However,if i would like to use only SNMP,can you help me to configure it properly.

Thanks.
Fabrizio
LukaS_9
Regular Advisor

Hi fabrizio,
take a look of this info taken from http://docs.hp.com/en/vsemgmt/requirements-node.html :

WBEM is required on managed systems to support the visualization and configuration features of Virtualization Manager and the collection of utilization data for Capacity Advisor. Without WBEM, only gWLM is functional.

On HP-UX managed systems HP WBEM Services for HP-UX version A.02.00.08 or later must be installed. Earlier versions of WBEM may generate cimserver errors, including timeouts in Virtualization Manager and VM Manager, and messages such as ├в CIM failure├в and ├в Connection Refused├в . The latest version of HP WBEM Services for HP-UX can be obtained from HP Software Depot at http://h20293.www2.hp.com/portal/swdepot/displayProductInfo.do?productNumber=B8465BA.

On Linux managed systems you must install tog-pegasus and the HP Integrity Essentials Foundation Pack for Linux Management CD. Refer to VSE Management Software Installation and Update Guide for details.

regards
luca
Fabrizio Maggioni_2
Super Advisor

Sorry,but i am confused.

I am reading some manuals about SIM managed system configuration but i don't know how to proceed correctly.

I have 3 kind of system to manage:

WINDOWS (OK)
HPUX (NOT OK)
LINUX (NOT OK)

For example on my first HPUX 11iV1 managed systems i have installed HP WBEM Services for HP-UX version A.02.00.11,OpenSSL (last version) but when i run the "configuration agent" i got the error previous specified (No valid path to talk to CIMOM)
Setting only SNMP mode,it works.(my doubt is how to fully configure SNMP to receive all kinds of events.At the moment i only have informed EMS to forward trap to SIM server)

Other example is Linux managed nodes, i am working on:
Red Hat Linux release 7.1 (Seawolf)
Kernel 2.4.2-2-sg on a 2-processor i686

and is not clear which are the requirement.

Also i don't really understand the difference about the procedure to follow if a server is proliant or not.(for proliant server there is a matrix with the software support pack available for each OS/hardware Version).

I will continue investigating.

Thanks a Lot.
Fabrizio
LukaS_9
Regular Advisor

maybe there is something wrong in cimprovider.
in hpux managed system, execute this command:
cimprovider -l ├в s
The output must be something like:
MODULE STATUS
HP_NParProviderModule OK
HP_VParProviderModule OK
HP_UtilizationProviderModule OK

Try also to stop and start cimprovider:
cimserver -s
cimserver

regards
luca
Fabrizio Maggioni_2
Super Advisor

Hi,

This is the output locally on my managed HPUX server:

MODULE STATUS
OperatingSystemModule OK
ComputerSystemModule OK
ProcessModule OK
IPProviderModule OK

But on SIM GUI i have always the same error:
create subscriptions for WBEM events, No valid path to talk to CIMOM.

I try also to restart the cimserver daemon.

Regards,
Fabrizio
LukaS_9
Regular Advisor

Hi fabrizio,
try to execute this command on the managed system:
cimconfig -l ├в c

and check if the following values are setted to true:
enableRemotePrivilegedUserAccess=true
enableHttpsConnection=true

Luca
LukaS_9
Regular Advisor
Solution

sorry, but the "cut and paste" has a problem pasting "-".
The command is cimconfig -l -c

Luca