4138 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: SIM Memory Usage Report

Mark_575
Frequent Advisor

SIM Memory Usage Report

Hi All,

I don't seem to be able to find a standard report to display memory usage, like the disk usage reports which are included as standard.

Can someone point me in the right direction please.

Cheers
Mark.
7 REPLIES 7
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

There isn't a standard report and even if there was its usefulness would be limited.

It would only be be a point in time when the data collection task ran which is typically off peak anyway.

In addition some applications will grab what memory is available (e.g. Exhange). Adding more will not help performance though. You need to look at hard page faulting / page file usage to get a better view of memory that has been over-committed.
Mark_575
Frequent Advisor

Yes I realise it's just a snapshot in time, much like the disk space. However this still gives a useful insight into those servers approaching their threshold. Plus servers with potential application memory leeks

Any idea how I can extract this info?

Many Thanks
Mark.
fred Passeron
HPE Pro

Hi

One of the essentials plug in to HP SIM, the performance management pack is probably the software you are looking for.
check here :
http://bizsupport.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00700725/c00700725.pdf

chapter 8 on PMP.

PMP Reports
PMP can generate reports illustrating the percentage of time a system was in a bottleneck state and the overall performance utilization for a system categorized by its components. A System Summary Report can be generated from data in the performance database in HTML format. CSV File Generator can generate comma-separated value (CSV) files for import into desktop analysis or reporting tools.

A Static Analysisis an analysis of the hardware configuration for the server as a whole, identifying potential problem
areas. The Server availability report in the HTML format consolidates information on availability of servers at any point in time.
The CSV file documents each individual sample for every component analyzed, collecting different measurements for each. All report formats can generate reports for either one designated system or a group of systems as a whole.
For a sample CSV file and a list of associated values measured for each server and its components, see the Sample PMP CSV file section in this guide. This section also includes a sample System Summary report and Static Analysis report.

The reports that are generated through PMP are stored in
C:\Program Files\HP\Performance Management Pack 4\PMPTools\htm\Reports
This is the default location for the generated reports.

Using PMP, you will be able to extract the data and use it to create you r own report.

hope it helps

Fred
тАЬLife is pleasant. Death is peaceful. It's the transition that's troublesome.тАЭ Isaac Asimov
Mark_575
Frequent Advisor

Hi Fred,

Yes I know all about PMP, but this requires a license for each server.

Has someone been able to extract this info for free from the standard version of SIM.

Cheers
Mark.
fred Passeron
HPE Pro

Hi Mark

Unfortunately HP SIM does not gather this piece of information in its Database. Actually, it does it but for HP UX boxes only ;-)

The memory data you are looking for are gathered by PMP only. Pmp relies on the agents to get the data. So you would need to be able to get the info from the agents and load it somewhere which would mean rewriting PMP.

Second option would be to create wmi scripts to interrogate the server. Well again, HP SIM is doing it through the properties link on the server system page but it doesn't log the data. It is a one shot situation...

I am afraid that for the time being your request will remain unfullfilled.

I know it doesn't help much...

Fred
тАЬLife is pleasant. Death is peaceful. It's the transition that's troublesome.тАЭ Isaac Asimov
Mark_575
Frequent Advisor

Many thanks for your help.

Do you know if HP will provide this feature at any point in SIM? or will it always remain as part of PMP?

Cheers
Mark.
fred Passeron
HPE Pro

Hi Mark,

Not that I am aware of. Yes I think that it will remain in PMP for the time being.

Keep in mind that thresholds can be set for memory usage on each server so that an admin could recieve alerts when the server's memory usage passes 75% for instance...

Hope it helps

fred