108795 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: SIM Role Field

SOLVED
Go to solution
Andy Ogan
Advisor

SIM Role Field

After finally getting SIM operational, I now need to start adding roles and other information that I can report on into the server agents and SIM. Trouble is, it'll be about 500+ servers that I need to input information into, esp. the Role field. About 400-450 physical devices, and 120 virtual machines.

I'm really trying to avoid logging onto every machine and input this. Can SIM fill that field remotely? Say pick a group of 20 servers all in one role, run some kind of a job to fill the role field, maybe others, and be done? Altiris?

Thanks in advance
6 REPLIES 6
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

Configure 1 like you want it and Replicate Agent Settings will distribute it to as many machines as you want.
Derek_56
Valued Contributor
Solution

Andy,
You can also script out modification of the "Server Role" field by remotely connecting to and modifying (or adding) a registry key on the systems. I've attached an example script below on how to do this.

Also, if you have really old systems (like me) that you are not allowed to update (like me) they do not support the "Server Role" field even if you manually create the keys. You will have to update to a recent version of the Insight Agents, anything after 6.4 is good, but I'd upgrade to latest and greatest if possible (7.4.)

At this time, SIM does not support gathering this data from VM's. Even if added to the VM's registry, you will be unable to collect it via SIM. I've had discussions with HP's Insight Engineering team regarding adding this functionality to SIM in the future.

Good luck and hope this helps.
-Derek
Andy Ogan
Advisor

Excellent. The registry is an easier path for me, as Rep Agent Settings has proven to be somewhat of a ******* child for me. Registry I can use GP for.

Thanks!
Andy Ogan
Advisor

Any suggestions for filling the role field for virtual machines off the Microsoft Virtual Server 2005 R2 product? Can't install the HP Management Agents on these guys...
Derek_56
Valued Contributor

Andy,

HP doesn't support anything for this at this time. I've been working around it by utilizing the SNMP sysLocation string. You can update your SNMP agent, let SIM scan and pick up the change and then query off that if need be. Not ideal, but it is a workaround. Hope it's helpful.

Derek
Mark Tew_1
Occasional Contributor

I have the roles set on all my servers SMH set depending on their environment. So production, DR, Test, OAT etc How can I use this information in SIM? Can these roles be linked to the severity of the Alert? Im not sure how the Critical, Normal, Minor systems are determined but suspect its via this. If not then I guess my 2 questions are:

1. How id the criticality of the server determined by SIM?

2. How can I use the server roles to manage my systems?

Any help appreciated.