1753797 Members
7644 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion

SIM Server Move and Upgrade

Rancher
Honored Contributor

SIM Server Move and Upgrade

We are going to a virtual server for SIMS.  We tried to do a P to V but it failed miserably.

I am currently running version 7.0 on Server 2008R2.  After the move, I will be upgrading to 7.2.  How do I move the database and the certificate so I can keep all of the information?

Would it be better just to do a fresh install on the virtual of 7.2, then move the database and the certificate?

1 REPLY 1
Andrew_Haak
Honored Contributor

Re: SIM Server Move and Upgrade

Hello Rancher,

I would do a new install on an other server if you have any. With this option you can do a replicate of the new certificate from your old server. This is handy when you don't have credentials for all the servers you have in your SIM server.

First do a mxnode -ln > c:\nodes.txt use notepad to copy the content to the discovery job of your new server. Now you can discover the objects you have in your old server. Later on we will do a discovery run.

Take one server and set the new SIM server certificate. Now you have one server with both certificates. You can now use the replicate settings and replicate both certificates from the old SIM server. Now the new SIM server also has a trust with all off your servers. With the replicate you can also replicate the snmp settings and also  vcrm server on the vcs's and snmp trap destinations.

When you have set all the protocol credentials like wbem and snmp setting you can run the filled discovery you pasted earlier. When you are finished with the old server you can use the replicate settings to remove the old servers trust.

Good luck,

Kind regards,

Andrew

Kind regards,

Andrew