HPE Community read-only access December 15, 2018
This is a maintenance upgrade. You will be able to read articles and posts, but not post or reply.
Hours:
Dec 15, 4:00 am to 10:00 am UTC
Dec 14, 10:00 pm CST to Dec 15, 4:00 am CST
Dec 14, 8:00 pm PST to Dec 15, 2:00 am PST
Server Management - Systems Insight Manager
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SIM System Type shows unknown foor everything

Patrik204
Occasional Visitor

SIM System Type shows unknown foor everything

Hello,

I have several servers that I set up to be discovered in SIM. They have been up fine but under system type it says uknown.

I have installed the agent on these systems as well.

Any ideas on what I may be missing?

Thank you.

Patrick
4 REPLIES
Rancher
Honored Contributor

Re: SIM System Type shows unknown foor everything

Make sure you have SNMP set up properly on your servers. The community strings must match those set up in SIMS. Also, if you are running 2003, make sure that the servers are set up to receive packets from the SIMS server and the localhost.
Patrik204
Occasional Visitor

Thanks for the response. That is one thing I could not find in SIM...where do I set up what the snmp community string to look for is in SIM?
Rancher
Honored Contributor

You can look on your Sim server itself under services. Right click on the SNMP Service and go to properties. Under the Trap tab, set up your public and private string. The private string should have the name or IP of your Sims server as the Trap destination.
Under the Security tab, add your strings. The public string should be Read Only and the private string should be Read Create.
Make sure they are set to receive packets from the Sim server and the localhost.
Restart SNMP. Once this has been set up on your SIMS server, your other servers will need the same settings. As a side note, in 2003, SNMP is not installed by default.
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

If the systems are showing 'unknown' then SNMP has probably been properly discovered, otherwise they would be showing as 'unmanaged.'

'Unknown' means that a management protocol has been discovered but that a rule hasn't been able to successfully identify the device. Most commonly if this is something that HP SIM should know about, such as a ProLiant server, the cause is editing/adding rules in Manage System Types.