1752801 Members
5470 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

SIM Upgrade from 4.X to 5 SP5 Database Issue

Steve Anschutz_1
Occasional Advisor

SIM Upgrade from 4.X to 5 SP5 Database Issue

I'm trying to do the upgrade to 5 and right away I'm failing at the database configuration page with a credentials error. The username that's shown on this page is undefined and is greyed out. Now I'm pretty sure the MSDE database uses sa as the admin account and the database.props file shows hp.Database.adminUser=sa. I'm not sure what account the sim service is running under, but it is currently functioning. How do we get past this credentials issue?
8 REPLIES 8
Daniel Leblanc
Honored Contributor

Re: SIM Upgrade from 4.X to 5 SP5 Database Issue

Look at this document first if something missing.
http://docs.hp.com/en/5991-4498/ch08.html
Daniel Leblanc
Honored Contributor

Are you using a domain account when installing SIM 5 or a local administrator account?

Is the SQL server in the same domain as the SIM server?

Are you using the MSDE installation on the local server or a remote SQL server?

Is the database server you are connecting to a named instance?

Do you have port 1434 blocked in your network? If so, you may need to go into MSDE client config (cliconfg.exe) and manually set the port of your named instance in order to connect.

Have you tried creating a trusted DSN connection to your MSDE using your installation account to make sure that you have access to the MSDE and to the master database on that server? What were the results of this test?
Daniel Leblanc
Honored Contributor

For those using Named Pipes and not TCP/IP (like in MSDE), you can change it using C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\80\Tools\Binn\svrnetcn.exe. FYI
Daniel Leblanc
Honored Contributor
Steve Anschutz_1
Occasional Advisor

Tried both a domain account and the local administrator acount (the local admin account may have had it's name changed since the install). The database is on the same server as sim and is MSDE.

I'll give this stuff a read and get back to the forum as soon as possible. Thanks

Steve Anschutz_1
Occasional Advisor

Turned on the debug registry keys and checked the hpsim.log file. Here appears to be the spot of the error.

[Fri Oct 27 11:28:07 CDT 2006]Install Shell:CheckDBHost: cmd /c cd C:\InstallTemp & set JAVA_HOME=.\jre & set PATH=.\ & .\jre\bin\java -cp ".;.\jtds-1.0.2.jar" sql/SQLServer -h "MNNCPOBSIM2001" -pn "1433" -db "master" -u "%117%110%100%101%102%105%110%101%100" -dm "LocalSystem" -debug
[Fri Oct 27 11:28:08 CDT 2006]Install Shell:CheckDBServerComplete()
[10-27-2006][11:28:10][Install Shell]The specified database account credentials are not valid.

The -u name looks to be ascii for "undefined". Is that right, should this be undefined?
Daniel Leblanc
Honored Contributor

Yap you 're right it should be define
Steve Anschutz_1
Occasional Advisor

Figured it out, changed the SIM service to run from an account we use for services and that account appeared in the dialog box and accepted the password. Install went fine from there on.