108798 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: SIM discrepancies

SOLVED
Go to solution
John Oliver3
Advisor

SIM discrepancies

After fixing my SNMP issues, SIM is sort of seeing my Proliants.

The only one that's completely correct is the one running Linux that it initially detected.

There's a DL360G3 running Windows that has green check marks for HS and ES, but System Type is Unknown, and it SIM doesn't pick up the OS, server model, etc. I can get to the SMH just fine.

Two Dl380G3s running Windows look like any generic servers... no info is displayed at all. SMH on both is available.

I already tried an auto-rediscovery once... it didn't change these systems, but did fill the screen with every other random network device it saw.

How can I get these systems to display properly in SIM?
5 REPLIES 5
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

If you manually installed Windows Server 2003, make sure that SNMP got installed, and once installed that it will respond to something other than localhost. HP SIM's 'Configure or repair agents...' can be used to fix configuration issues.
John Oliver3
Advisor

On a couple of these machines, I needed to go back to the SNMP service and manually add a READ-WRITE community. After restarting SNMP, I was able to add the Insight management Agents, and the SMH pages started working the way I expected. But the systems still aren't detected properly by SIM (5.1 running under Linux if it makes a difference).

Any other ideas?
David Claypool
Honored Contributor
Solution

Did you check the SNMP layer's 'Security' tab and look at the second half of the box? Is 'Accept SNMP traffic from any hosts checked' or is 'Accept SNMP traffic only from these hosts' checked, and if so, what are the hosts? If it only says localhost, SNMP traffic from your HP SIM CMS is being rejected.
John Oliver3
Advisor

When I configured the SNMP Services, I had already added my SIM server in the accept traffic box.

I'll go back and make sure that those machines are resolving the name of the SIM server correctly...
John Oliver3
Advisor

I had added a "private" READ-WRITE community to each Windows server, but it needed a "public" READ-ONLY community as well.