New Discussion юеВ

Re: SIM display "unkown"

SOLVED
Go to solution
Kevin_peng
Advisor

SIM display "unkown"

I installed SIM5.0 in my customer,but I have 2 question,
1.ML370 G2 Server type in SIM is show "unknow",but BL20P G2 is correct.
2.Can I install managent agent for Windows XP(BL20P G2),but I checked website the agent is not support XP.May I use smartstart7.4 autorun to install agent.

3 REPLIES 3
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor
Solution

Unknown would indicate the SNMP settings are not correct.
Check community names and that the HPSIM Server has snmp access to the ML370.

You can try, but you'd be better with a Server OS on the Blade Server. The Agents typically need a number of Drivers to provide all of the functionality. I'm not too sure how much of that would be there.
If XP is supported by SmartStart you could try it, but you'd bet better of with W2003.
Kevin_peng
Advisor

Thank you,I will try to check it,
1.Check community names ?
Can you tell how to check "community names "
BTW,In SNMP service,select trap,what is different betwee with "publice"and "private"
Tank you again.
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

Community names are set up in SNMP to control access.
So, on a Server that has HPSIM installed you can configure the Community names it will use to access remote Servers.
You can select your own names and typically you'd have one that you would use for just Read Only access (public is the default) and one for Read/Write (private is the default).

At the receiving end SNMP also needs to be configured to allow access on those same community names. You also need to allow the actual hosts access.
Again, you can be flexible on whether you'd allow read or read/write access.

HPSIM needs at least Read Access to identify the Servers.

Configure HPSIM SNMP details in Options->Protocol Settings->Global Protocol Settings.