New Discussion юеВ

SIM does not send email alert

Dan DeCoursey
Regular Advisor

SIM does not send email alert

Hello,
Server = ML350g5
Windows server 2003 and SQL server 2005
This server does unexpected shutdowns in the middle of the night....... I get no email alert from SIM I can still ping the server....... but cnt RDP onto it ..so I use IOL to get on the server and in there I reboot it from the power mgmt page.....

While this ocurs I get emails that the system is unreachable and then all the rest of the expected emails alerts telling me a cold boot is happening and the network link is up........ then the last one that the server is now reachable....

my problem is that I get no email alert whe nthe server shuts don in the middle of the night..... I do have a CMS that drives all this its like the SIM uses just "PING" to "poll" the server and as long as the NIC is alive...then the CMS still thinks the monitored server out there is still "alive" even theough it is not......

how do I getthe CMS to report a downed server via email right when it goes down ??

would be really nice if the power mgmt setting for automatic restart would initiat a reboot ...but once again....there is never a power interuption so I guess as long as commercial power is still active to the powersupplies then it is not looked at as a porblem that should be remedied with a re start?

Its exapsperation to go into IOL and check system status and it says "SERVER IS ON" POWER IS ON

but in all actualltiy the server is shut down....... and the event logs will have events stating "the last system shutdown at 2:32am was unexpected"

I would love for my SIM system to be able to detect these shutdowns and then restart the system......

any thoughts ??
Hers a pinch to grow an inch
5 REPLIES 5
NJK-Work
Honored Contributor

Re: SIM does not send email alert

So the server is up but not responding (other than PING)? What do you see on the console screen of the server when you iLO to it? Just a blue screen, or do you actually see a login prompt? Can you actually login? I guess I am trying to understand how the server can respond to PING, yet be "down". I think I need your "definition" of "down"...like the application is down, or the server cannot be accessed via RDP but is still functional in terms of the application it is hosting, etc.

Thanks
Nelson
Dan DeCoursey
Regular Advisor

I put the mgmt processor IP address in my browser and login to ILO I dont have any luck running any of the other "remote consoles" so once in there I can only pick one of the reboot options on the power mgmt tab.

The server screen is black the only sign of life is the activity/link led's on the nic... I am being told a nic can aswer a ping under these conditions
I can not RDP onto the server ... so I use the pwr mgmt tab in IOL to press and hold the power button or cold boot..

afterwards the event log says the server had an unexpected shutdown at 10:30pm (last night)
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

If the server is responding to ping then the server is not actually down. But interesting that you're getting those Event Messages that indicate the shutdown has completed. It's almost like it's doing an ASR or similar but then failing to restart correctly.

HPSIM doesn't do any application checking, you could use something like Nagios to verify the database is still responding. That would pick up the case where the server applications were not responding but where the network interface was actually up.

Is there anything else happening around this time?
Any other events indicating things before or after the unexpected shutdown.
Also, does the IML show anything?
Dan DeCoursey
Regular Advisor

Not sure why may last post did not get appended to this thread..... but
I have loaded Kaseya and Idera products and both of them will send me the email notifications stating that the server is not responding ( to polling) but I dont get any sim alerts
Dan DeCoursey
Regular Advisor

old stuff