1753868 Members
7643 Online
108809 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

SIM hang, low MaxThreads ?

Mikael R├╢nnb├дck
Super Advisor

SIM hang, low MaxThreads ?

After installation of SP3 for SIM5 I've seen SIM hang two times already now.

Both times it seems I've gotten a lot entries like this one

java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: The char '0x2' in 'java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: The char '0x2' in 'x K' is not a valid XML character.' is not a valid XML character.

followed by

ERROR [ThreadPool] All threads (200) are currently busy, waiting. Increase maxThreads (200) or check the servlet status

Anyone else seeing this and have any idea what's causing it or should I just look into increasing the maxthreads ? (Which is done where btw, the sysbook.pdf file doesn't say anything about that setting and I didn't find any current setting the the props files in the config folder ?)
4 REPLIES 4
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

Re: SIM hang, low MaxThreads ?

It's not hung HPSIM, but I get similar errors in my mxdomainmgr.xxxxx.out file.

15:46:20,167 ERROR [BeanSerializer] Exception:
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: The char '0x4' in '^ ├в ┬╣N ├в ┬╣V ^?├Г $PCI' is not a valid XML character.
at org.apache.axis.components.encoding.AbstractXMLEncoder.encode(AbstractXMLEncoder.java:206)
at org.apache.axis.utils.XMLUtils.xmlEncodeString(XMLUtils.java:97)

This repeats endlesslessly causing these files to grow rather large.
I need to get a call logged on this as it's been happening for a while. Some informal feedback suggested there may be something in the database causing the error.
I've certainly tried shutting down HPSIM and clearing all the Java Caches but that didn't seem to make any difference.
Mikael R├╢nnb├дck
Super Advisor

Ok, I'll be happy to hear of anything you come up with, since I'm getting a little fed up with SIM as per now. We've had a support case registered since september, and a few weeks ago we did make some progress, where we could get SIM to stay online for 2 straight weeks (normally it now hangs every 3rd day), but as part of the troubleshooting process we were then scheduled to install SP3, and after that installation the performance issues have been even worse. SIM works excellent when newly restarted but the performance quickly degrades until it takes several minutes to open a query-view or do a search for a computer name, and so we restart the SIM service, nothing else just that and we're up and running again.
Problem is that we can't keep doing that since then the scheduled tasks will never get time to complete as some of them take several days, especially auto-discovery which we've for now completely disabled since it always brings SIM to a standstill when it runs.
Mikael R├╢nnb├дck
Super Advisor

Oh, and you don't happen to know where to configure the MaxThreads settings maybe ?
Mikael R├╢nnb├дck
Super Advisor

Anyone else who could tell me where to find this setting ?