1753797 Members
7199 Online
108805 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: SIM keeps asking to install JAVA

Lars Floden
Frequent Advisor

SIM keeps asking to install JAVA

Everytime I try to go into our SIM server it does a check for the JAVA version and it tells me it isn't installed. Well it is installed. But just to make it happy, I removed it, rebooted, and tried to go in again, let it install it, refreshed login, got the same message.

Says there is no JRE installed. I have now tried this on 2 other PCs and the server itself, none work. I've tried rebooting the server, still doesn't work. 1.4.1_04 is the only version on the PCs and the server. I thought maybe it was the new patches that MS put out that may have killed it, but the W2K workstation I tested it on doesn't have the patches installed.

I'm think it must be something on the server, but have no idea what. Anyone run into something like this before?

Lars
4 REPLIES 4
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

Sounds odd.
Try first using the JRE to clear the Java Cache files.
Check that in the Advanced Tab of IE you have not got a Sun Java - Use Java v2... box checked for any Java Versions. Leaving this unchecked lets the App choose the JRE, not the browser.

You could also try removing every last remnant of the JRE and then doiwnloading the latest from Sun, I'm quite happily running HPSIM with 1.4.2_04
Lars Floden
Frequent Advisor

I downloaded the new Java version and used FireFox 0.8 just to see if it was a browser issue. Well it let me right in, it did its check of the Java version and went right on to the next part. Of course it then locks up and I can't do anything, but at least I make it past that first part.

I'm beginning to think it was one of those patches Microsoft put out that I loaded on the server.
Simon Jameson_1
Occasional Advisor

sorry to tag onto the end of your post. I'm having the same issue with some machines. mine is ok, i have version 1.4.1_04 installed by SIM and it works. i've tried to get this working on other machines here and they go to the page, install JRE as specified, refresh and nothing!! it says JRE isn't installed when i know it is.
I've tried exporting my javasoft reg key and logging onto these machines with my profile and still the same. I've also unselected Java in the IE advanced options too.
Why doesn't it recognise that JRE is installed??
I can't find the difference between my pc and the others. They are all win XP Pro desktops. Mine is patched with all MS critical patches!
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

I can only add that I've found clearing the Java Cache files has also helped me resolve JRE issues.

The other biggie you've addresses which is unchecking the User Java v2.. box in IE

As for Firefox, you might find you need to change the settings for Cookies, IM uses them quite a bit and you need to be quite lax on the restrictions.
I did get an ealier version of whatever firefox was called before 0.8 working.

Just fired HPSIM up under Mozilla 1.7Beta.