5234 Online
108795 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

SIM on second and third servers, how to install

invisik
Advisor

SIM on second and third servers, how to install

Hi all,

I've got two ML350's and one ML310 that I want to get SIM setup and monitoring. I installed the regular SIM package from the Foundations CD on one of the ML350's and that is working fine.

What should I install on the other 2 servers? Is there a client to enable management of them, or should I install the full SIM package? Don't want to install more then I have to!

Thanks for the info...

-m
8 REPLIES 8
Daniel Leblanc
Honored Contributor

Re: SIM on second and third servers, how to install

Ohhh yesss
first
1# Hy there make sure first the server you want manage has installed SNMP and the client side and the server side.
Daniel Leblanc
Honored Contributor

3# All you re server snmp setting are set for SECURITE> Accepted community name>Communite name(correc name),All you re server snmp setting are set for SECURITE> Accepted community name>Communite name> Accepted packet from these host>1-server Insight & 2-127.0.0.1.
Daniel Leblanc
Honored Contributor

Oups misse this one,it seems thta web hp having probleme with me today

2# All you re server SNMP setting are set for TRAPS>Communite name(correc name),TRAPS>Communite name>traps destination> 1-server Insight & 2-127.0.0.1
Daniel Leblanc
Honored Contributor

4# in youre Home page manegement>Setting>Securite
A_IP Binding-Nothing
B_IP Restricted Login-Nothing
C_Local Server Certificate-Nothing
D_Local/Anonymous Access-Nothing
E_Trust Mode>Secure Trust Modes:Trust by Certificate
F_Trusted Management Servers>Importe you Insight server certificate
G_User Groups-Nothing.

And for this nice information ,you need to apply the point for the answers you get,people will look in you re profile if you have givene you're points and then they will help you,if you do not then ....you're on you're own: and now you're are 0 points out of 1, and that normal it you're first one.
1-3: The answer didn't help answer my question, but thanks anyhow!
4-7: The answer helped with a portion of my question, but I still need help.
8-10: The answer has solved my problem completely! I'm a happy camper!

HAve a nice and hope this answer help you out.
Dan
Daniel Leblanc
Honored Contributor

If you want to apply higher securite then you can apply this
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324261

You should'nt have any trouble.

Dan
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

Depends on how the servers were built. If you used Smart Start then SNMP and the agents are already there. So HPSIM should discover the servers unless they're in a different subnet, then you need to look in options -> discovery.
If hand built, check SNMP is there, and then ideally install the latest Proliant Support Pack.

There's a similar thread where a link has been provided to a guide for small installations.

www.hp.com/go/hpsim and then follow the link to the information library.
invisik
Advisor

Hi,

I used SmartStart on the other ML350 and had to go manual on the ML310 as it's SATA RAID. I did install the PRoliant Homepage thing from the SmartStart CD afterwards on the 310 though.

I didn't want to do a full network discovery yet, so I manually added the two other servers. SIM found them, but doesn't know anything about them (OS, server model, etc, etc), treating them as generic machines. SNMP should be functional on at least the ML350.....?

I'll look in the whitepapers for that small network document....

Thanks.

-m
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

SNMP needs to be correct.
There are RO and RW community names set up in HPSIM and these need to be the same as on the server. They're case-sensitive as well.

In addition W2K3 sets SNMP to selected hosts only for access, so the HPSIM Server plus local host need to be added to the allowed hosts on the client server side.

While you're there add the HPSIM server as the Trap destination.