1753876 Members
7375 Online
108809 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

SIM version and agents version

jsvader
Occasional Advisor

SIM version and agents version

We are running SIM v5.2 SP2 on Windows 2003 and are having problems discovering XW460C blade workstations. Upon examination, we see the xw460c machines are running v7.60.0.0 of the management agents and when I upgrade the mgmt agents to v8.11.0.0, SIM discovery works fine. Does anyknow if there is an issue with SIM 5.2 working with agents 7.60.0.0? I havent been able to find anything...
2 REPLIES 2
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

Re: SIM version and agents version

In and of itself, the agents version shouldn't be a problem, as long as the agent version is supported on the platform. For that matter, HP SIM can talk to agents as far back as 4.23b (probably even further, but 4.23b was the first Y2K-compliant version, so no one should be running anything earlier).

7.6 is several versions out of date. Is there any reason you are still running them? When new versions come out they are generally checked against 2 versions back for upgradability. When you get so far out of date as you have done, it may be painful to roll forward in one sweep. You may have to step your way towards it.
jsvader
Occasional Advisor

Re: SIM version and agents version

Thanks Dave. The reason we have the older agent is b/c its part of our std desktop image. I'll have the desktop engineering group take care of it but I still to find out why our SIM server cant disvover the system - it throws the folling error:

System did not pass discovery filter, not added.

I understand its throwing this error b/c the SIM server doesnt know its a workstation. On a machine with v7.60.0.0, clicking on the HP Managemnets Agaents icon in CP, clicking the SNMP Settings tab and clicking Send Test Trap throws an error- The trap could not be generated. Please insure that the host agent is enabled and running. When I upgrade to v8.15.0.0, this problem goes away.