1752270 Members
4669 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

SIM won't send SNMP Traps anymore

H.Y. Yiu
Frequent Advisor

SIM won't send SNMP Traps anymore

One of my SIM 5.2 servers doesn't send SNMP traps any more. I found the following in the mxdomainmgr.log:
INFO [HPSIM_DEBUG] Trap service not functioning, enable or start it.

My windows SNMP service is started and I can't find any error entries.

Some pointers for troubleshooting?
5 REPLIES 5
Jon_151
Regular Advisor

Re: SIM won't send SNMP Traps anymore

Could be this advisory??

Description: Advisory: Installing HP Systems Insight Manager 5.2 May Fail to Connect to Database Server When Local or Domain Security Setting is Set to (c01438048)

here is a link.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c01438048&dimid=1006108022&dicid=alr_apr08&jumpid=em_alerts/us/apr08/all/xbu/emailsubid/mrm/mcc/loc/rbu_category_AdvisoryInstallin/alerts
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

You need to determine if that is the process that listens for traps or that sends them.
My guess if it's in the mxdomainmgr log that it's actually the trap listener process.

H.Y. Yiu
Frequent Advisor

well, I know that Sim is receiving SNMP traps because I can see test traps coming in Sim in the events within Sim. My test trap forwarding task got fired up correctly but the Sim server didn't send any traps to Tivoli (checked by network trace).
Anyone knows the Sim Internal process/module which handles sending SNMP traps?
I do have other Sim servers which works fine so I can compare. I just need to know where is a good point to start.
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

I believe HPSIM uses the standard Windows SNMP Service. A way of testing that would be to use the SNMP Trap Send in the HP Management Agents GUI on the HPSIM Server to send a trap to itself.

If that works then it seems to suggest that part of HPSIM is broken which does the SNMP forwarding.
Are both the SNMP and SNMP Trap Services running?
H.Y. Yiu
Frequent Advisor

yes, SNMP & SNMP Trap service is running & I can send a test trap via the Insight Agents control panel aplet. I think that I should re-install Sim now.