1753379 Members
5438 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: SIMSYNC.EXE Pegging Processors

Jim Hanson
Advisor

SIMSYNC.EXE Pegging Processors

I have SIM 5.1, build C.05.01.00.00. CMS is at 7.70 of PSP, SQL 2000 sp3a, Win2003 SP1, Machine is a BL20p G2 with 8 Gigs of RAM.

SIM is running slow as a dog from my desk, and others, and in checking the CMS there are 4 instances of SIMSYNC.EXE running, each using about 25% of CPU. The process runs as the ID that the SIM service runs as. I could find no info on what this process does.

Anyone have any clue what this is? If so, how can I tweak things so this doesn't kill my system?
11 REPLIES 11
Mike EvansCengageLearni
Frequent Advisor

I am having the same issue. This process pegging my CPU's also corresponds with very sluggish performance in SIM. How many hosts do you have SIM managing? I have a little over 1300 systems. Not sure if this could be a part of the problem
Richard A. Scott

They are aware of the issue and they are working on a fix. I am having the same issue. I am told they should have a fix within a couple of days.
Dennis Young_1
Occasional Advisor

I am having the same issue. Restarting the SIM service seems to fix it for a while but then it comes back.

I hope they fix this soon.
Richard A. Scott

The work around until the fix is released is to stop the HP Systems Insight Manager Service and to Stop the ISEE_CMS_SWMAGENT service then restart the HP Systems Insight Manager Service (leaving the ISEE service stopped or disabled.) Of course this depends on how much you depend on the ISEE service.

They say they should have the fix within a couple of days. If you like you can call in a case at (800) 633-3600 and select the option for Software Support and ask for ISEE support.
biggulp1979
Occasional Advisor

Hi Everybody,

I have the same issue. I am running a 2GB RAM and SIM took up 1.5GB. Left me only 100MB++ to run the show.

I have spent abt 3 days to monitor the situation and found out that mxdomainmgr.exe is locking onto the memory. It just doesn't know how to release the amt of RAM it is holding on. When the RAM level drop down to 500MB, i was unable to access SIM via web. When it RAM level drop down to 300MB, i was not able to received alerts thru email. I found a shareware and schedule it to flush the memory for every 30 mins. You guys might want to try, its call 'RAM Saver Pro'. Its rather useful in a way.

FYI: I am testing SIM 5.1 on a 4GB machine, its seems ok and eating up 2GB of my memory. That's half of it, thought 2GB was the recommended RAM size???

Thanks and Regards.
Mike EvansCengageLearni
Frequent Advisor

This is from an email I recieved from the ISEE team regarding this issue:

Workaround for "simsync.exe" appearing to consume a high percentage of the CPU follows.

Explanation:

This workaround disables the task that causes the 100% CPU usage. There are at least two steps required to implement this workaround. First the task must be disabled. Then, the simsync.exe process must be run manually any time a device is deleted from any collection in SIM.

NOTE: Running the simsync.exe process does not reintroduce the 100% CPU issue ├в this was caused by repeated calls from the task to run simsync.exe. The single call should complete in approximately 2-5 seconds.

Disable the "Remove From Remote Support" Task
Open the HP SIM UI and navigate to Tasks and Logs->View All Scheduled Tasks
Scroll down the list of "All Scheduled Tasks" and select the "Remove From Remote Support" tool.
Select "edit".
The "Step 1: Verify Target Systems" page is displayed. Click on the "Schedule" button on the lower righthand side. Do not make any other changes.
On the "Step 2: Schedule Task" page, change the scheduled task time to unscheduled by selecting the "not scheduled" radio button under the "When would you like this task to run?" header.
Click on the "Done" button on the lower righthand side of the page.
Manually run the simsync.exe process whenever a device is deleted from any collection in SIM
cd into \Hewlett-Packard\RemoteSupport\bin and enter the command simsync.exe >> ..\logs\simSync-manual.log

So far I haven't noticed the processors being pegged, but then again I have been struggling to use SIM as it's performing really poorly for me. I am having our SQL dba run a trace to determine if this is a SQL issue. The hardware is definately up to snuff.
biggulp1979
Occasional Advisor

Hi Mike,

You might want to check on your memory? Otherwise, have your DBA check on the memory portion on SQL server. There is a part whereby you can configure your SQL to use specific size of memory.

Thanks and Regards.
BMITCH

I was having the same issues with the simsync.exe process or processes maxing out my cpu. I stopped the ISEE_CMS_SWMAGENT and the HP SIM services. Then I opened the Remote Support Software Manager and set the Allow Downloads and Installations At 4:00AM on Sun. I did have it set to Anytime. I restarted both services and my server is much happier now. Simsync.exe is not even running now. Maybe I just got lucky.
BMITCH

I just Discovered two systems and I noticed that I now have two simsync.exe processes running and each using 25% of my CPU. I tried un-checking the Enable systems for Remote Support upon discovery box but that didn't seem to help. I had to restart the ISEE_CMS_SWMAGENT service and the SIM service to kill the two processes. It appears the simsync.exe process starts when you either delete or discover a server. I just noticed that it was not running at all then I deleted a server from SIM and the process started and took 25% of my CPU. I deleted two more servers and now I have three simsync.exe processes, each taking up 25% of my CPU. This must be one of those un-documented features with the new version of ISEE. At least I can revive the CPU if needed by stopping and starting the services.