4891 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: SMH Service Missing after update to 7.60A

Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

SMH Service Missing after update to 7.60A

Hi All,
Just updated two servers to 7.60A, 1 OK, the other is missing the SMH Service.
In Add/remove programs the SMH has a "Remove" button which when accessed starts an update process. This fails with the error in the attached file.
If I just run the cp006309.exe it just disappears. No error at all.
Both servers W2003 Sp1.
6 REPLIES 6
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

And a workaround - extracted the cp006309.exe file and ran the extracted setup.exe manually which then found the layout.bin file.

But I'd like to know why it failed during the initial PSP install.
Rich Purvis
Honored Contributor

Do you know what error was being thrown? Were both servers running the same version of SMH prior to the PSP upgrade? Do you know what version the SMH was prior to upgrade? Any reason to believe the two different server SMH's were configured differently? I can't think of a reason why it would behave that way on two different systems - those are the only questions I can think of right now.

-Rich
Why does my tivo keep recording Nickelodeon?
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

PSP on both was 7.51, the SMH would have been the same. We use WSUS for the MS side and so I believe even the MS patch status would have been the same.
The main difference is the server that failed was a DL380 G2, so no ILO etc. The server that was okay was a DL380 G3.
I just ran another install on a DL360 G1, so again no ILO, but that was fine.

In the PSP install the error message was:
Setup Session Beginning: Tue Sep 26 08:59:09 AM
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Name: HP System Management Homepage for Windows
New Version: 2.1.6
Current Version: 2.1.5

Component pre-configuring (if applicable) and invoking installer.
Installer entry should follow if no errors.

--------------------------------------------------------------
END SESSION
--------------------------------------------------------------
-------------------------------------------------------------
Setup Session Beginning: 9-26-2006 - 08:59:19 AM
------------------------------------------------------------

Beginning silent session...

Name: HP System Management Homepage for Windows
New Version: 2.1.6
Current Version: 2.1.5

Failed to start the HP System Management Homepage Service
Rich Purvis
Honored Contributor

Ok, without being able to duplicate the issue I am not sure how far we are going to get on this. I will try a few on my own and see if I can get similar behavior but it doesn't sound like it was consistent across installations for you which does not hold out too much hope at this point. Inside the component the SMH actually uses an Installshield installer, it is my understanding that the behavior where the install goes away or just disappears is when the installer finds the setup.iss file corrupted at install time. This is one of the files that gets exploded into a temp directory during install. However, the temp directory does not stay around it gets removed rather quickly. So trying to verify if and why that would happen would be difficult. I assume you weren't running low on disk space on the system . . . I know . . . its a reach. Just can't think of anything that makes sense right now. If I run across anything else on this I will update this thread.

-Rich
Why does my tivo keep recording Nickelodeon?
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

Rich,
Thanks, the server that failed was only running VMWare's Virtual Server. And it's still really just a test platform and so disk space and other resources are fine.
I'll certainly update this thread if I see any other instances, and I guess if others get a similar event.
Could be just one of those one-offs, just a bit worrying when it's one out of two new installs.
James Kennedy_4
Trusted Contributor

I just had this happen on one of my servers. I'm not sure if there's any pattern to it, it certainly is random.

Windows 2003 SP1 server.

I ran the cp006309.exe /force to get it to reinstall properly.

Had to install the vcagents after this, as they failed during the PSP install, due to the SMHP failure.