1752800 Members
5683 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

SMH of SIM host system not reachable from within HP SIM

Jens Schr├╢der
Frequent Advisor

SMH of SIM host system not reachable from within HP SIM

Hi, we are running HP SIM SP4 on Win2k3 server. Can't find out, which settings might be responsible for the system management homepage of the HP SIM host system itself not being available from within HP SIM. Funnily we still have access to the SMH via https://[servername]:2381, but clicking on the hw-status icon in the HP SIM main window doesn't produce a new pop up window with the SMH. I've checked the SNMP service settings several times. Any ideas?
13 REPLIES 13
MaierCH
Occasional Advisor

Re: SMH of SIM host system not reachable from within HP SIM

I have the same Problem after i have upgrate to 2.1.2.127.

When i start the service the message is comming up

The HP System Management Homepage service failed to start due to the following error:
The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.

have somebody a idea ??

Jens Schr├╢der
Frequent Advisor

The HP System Management Homepage Service hasn't ceased to run so far.
However, the following error message appeared when performing the data collection task for the SIM host server:
"An error occurred connecting to this system with the WBEM protocol. Check the system configuration." I thought the SNMP protocol was sufficient ...?
Rich Purvis
Honored Contributor

Jens, HPSIM decides whether or not it can access the SMH when it does discovery of the nodes. If for some reason the SMH was not started yet or in some non-responsive state it might have thought that the SMH was not available on the system. You might try to do a discovery on the single system again and see if it behaves any differently.

-Rich
Why does my tivo keep recording Nickelodeon?
Ananthak23
Trusted Contributor

Jens,

You might want to enable http(s) in HP SIM.
Login to SIM, go to Options->Protocol Settings->Global Protocol Settings. Check the box next to "Enable HTTP and HTTPS" and then re-discover the server in HP SIM.

-Anantha
Jens Schr├╢der
Frequent Advisor

OK, I had tried that already. Http(s) has been enabled right from the start, and a rediscovery (delete and manually discover) of this system is not possible, because "it is used to manage other systems".
However, I've disabled WBEM now in order to get rid of some error messages from systems, where that protocol is not available.
Ananthak23
Trusted Contributor

Clear the browser cache and see if it works. Do you see any script error at the bottom left hand corner of the browser?

Also try browsing from a different system with the latest browser.

Good Luck
Rich Purvis
Honored Contributor

Regarding my previous suggestion, I apologize for not being clear. You just need to run an Identify task - it is part of the discovery options. You can select just the one system if you wish. If the SMH is up and running and the problem was that HPSIM did not see it - running that task should clear it up.

-Rich
Jens Schr├╢der
Frequent Advisor

It doesn't seem to be a local browser issue, since colleages using different browser installations run into the same problems. Neither do script errors occur or does cache clearing have any effect. I still get the System Page instead of the SMH in new pop up window.
Obviously, when clicking on the health status link HP SIM tries to connect to its own SMH via WBEM, which I recently disabled globally: "Error: Cannot connect to target system using WBEM."
Enabling it for that particular system modifies the error message:
"Unknown WBEM error". If I can trust the data in HP SIM about that server, there's WBEM 1.0 available.
Rich Purvis
Honored Contributor

SMH does not rely on WEBM (CIMOM\WMI). So any errors you get in that regard have nothing to do with getting access to the SMH.

-Rich