1752781 Members
6560 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: SMTP hook in

Stephen Jones_9
Occasional Contributor

SMTP hook in

A few questions I'm looking to get answered if anyone can help?

1) I'm creating my own tools to check the status of a port using portqry.exe. Using the -q switch allows the exit code to determine the status of the port. I've created the tool to run locally on the box and it works fine but is there any way to configure an action on the exit code of a custom tool.

i.e. If port 80 on the target system is not responing then run a batch or another tool. At present SIM doesn't appear to allow this. It only displays the exit code and no internal event is created to action on this.

2) Is there any way I can hook into the way SIM squirts SMTP mails to my SMTP server. I know I could write a batch and mail from the command line but I'd like to keep things as neat as possible and do it from within SIM. Don't see anything obvious in the MXTOOLS help to allow this.

3)We've setup monitoring of third-party products by importing the mibs etc and this works fine. The frustrating thing about this is not being able to change the health status of the system in SIM even though it might have a failed NIC or DISK. Is this possible in anyway or is it a no.

All in all though a great product and how it is still free I don't know.

Thanks in advance
4 REPLIES 4
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

1 - The way to handle this is like the following example from http://support.microsoft.com/kb/832919/

-------------------
:Top
portqry -n 169.254.18.22 -e 135 -p tcp -q
if errorlevel = 2 goto filtered
if errorlevel = 1 goto failed
if errorlevel = 0 goto success
goto end

:filtered
Echo Port is listening or filtered
goto end

:failed
Echo Port is not listening
Goto end

:success
Echo Port is listening
goto end

:end
-------------------

2 - By 'hook in' if you mean customizing the email, then no, you will need to go external and use a command line.

3 - HP SIM status can only reflect up or down on 3rd party SNMP devices.
Stephen Jones_9
Occasional Contributor

point taken regarding points 2 & 3 but point 1 I've already created the tool so don't need any assitance regarding how to set it up. What I am after is can SIM action on the exit code of a custom task??? It seems a little pointless to have it displayed if you can't determine an action from its value.

regards
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

No, you can't chain tasks together using any kind of conditional logic.
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

Bumped to be above moved questions...