1753877 Members
7392 Online
108809 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

SNMP Location field

orven
Frequent Advisor

SNMP Location field

Where is the best way to update the SNMP location of my devices.
Is in on Windows Services under SNMP service or in HPSIM itself under System page\tools and Links\Edit System Properties? Please advise.

If I will do it in my HPSIM will it also update the SNMP location under Windows Services?

14 REPLIES 14
Albert Austin
Esteemed Contributor

Re: SNMP Location field

Pobably the easiest way to update settings is to go from CONFIGURE-> REPLICATE AGENT SETTINGS. SNMP must be up and running on all host servers.
Doing it through windows services can be tiresome if you are managing many servers.

The below path is not enough to update SNMP settings. By doing this you are only informing SIM on how to collect data from hosts.
System page\tools and Links\Edit System Properties
orven
Frequent Advisor

Thanks!

Problem is Location is always do vary: like serverA on Rack AA1, ServerB Rack AA6 etc...

I didnt get you on this"
The below path is not enough to update SNMP settings. By doing this you are only informing SIM on how to collect data from hosts. System page\tools and Links\Edit System Properties"
Can you please further explain.

Idea is we habe 60 servers and we want to update SNMP location so when particular Admin search for a server he can search for the box and check the lcoation.
thanks

Albert Austin
Esteemed Contributor

After reading your second message, I realised I misunderstood the first one a bit.

If you would like to update the SNMP LOCATION field, you could do it through SMH or Services (windows).
Via the System properties in the CMS console you do not have that option available to update.

If you have all trusts configured probably doing it through SMH is faster, and then ofcourse replicating those settings to the other servers via the path mentioned in my previous message.
orven
Frequent Advisor

That is the thing..

If you will check there is an option for this..
you seach a particular server-> click system Name - go to Tools and Links - Edit system Properties. then there is SNMP location.. can I use this or what is the diffierencce in Windows?

Cannot replicate settings since they are all different Values

thanks
Albert Austin
Esteemed Contributor

The outcome is the same.
If you fill SNMP location through SNMP tab in Windows it updates it in CMS. But if you update it directly in CMS, it does not update it in your SNMP tab settings.

I would recommend to do it through SNMP tab in Windows. So if you do loose the server from your database you dont have to go and fill out the information once more as your SNMP is configured to send it to you.
orven
Frequent Advisor

Thanks you have a point!
Problem is that user taht will update the SNMP lcation in Windows might need domain Admin rights or individual Local Admin.
do you think having the SNMP read write string will be sufficient??

Lastly.. I want to display the Location Field in my Table view. I cannot add it Table view columns, would be nice you can can see Location columns right away!

More Power!!!!!!!!!!
Albert Austin
Esteemed Contributor

Why would you need to give users any rights. You could do it from your CMS without having to move. From CMS access each servers SMH homepage and change SNMP settings there.
I have Read/write in my environment, but some would debate that Read/Create is more powerful.

As for customising table view to add location field, sorry cant help you there. If I were to guess I would say no. but if you search the forum you could come across somebody with more knowledge on that issue.
orven
Frequent Advisor

Thanks, but how do you address those SMH that everytime you open the page it is always asking for password? Do I have to do something.

the other SMH is when you open is uses host operating system authentication.

Is there a way to have a unified account that opne all SMH in my CMS.

Albert Austin
Esteemed Contributor

Well I guess you have not created a trust between CMS and your host servers yet. Thats the reason you get a logon screen everytime you try and access the SMH through CMS.
Check this link out for more information on trusts:
http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1024735