1753588 Members
6560 Online
108796 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

SNMP Trap Automation

JerryWebsense

SNMP Trap Automation

Hello All,
I was wondering, In HP Management Agents you can click the "send Test Trap" button to make sure that the traps are reaching their destination (SIM Server). I was wondering if any of you knew a way to automate this through a batch file using cmd line tools that can be setup as a weekly scheduled task on the computer. The reason I need to do this is because we have cluster nodes and cluster management that often fails and I would like to automate some tests. Any ideas? Thanks in advance!
2 REPLIES 2
Ed Cox
Respected Contributor

Re: SNMP Trap Automation

Hi Jerry,
I did something similar with the HP RDP product where I wanted the server to add itself to the SIM database once the OS was installed. Servers can add themselves to SIM if they can somehow trap to SIM (and you have a particular discovery setting checked in SIM as well).
So I Googled some utilities and found one called TrapGen. I would attach it to this thread but it's an .exe.
It's been awhile since I downloaded it, but I think this was the site:

http://www.ncomtech.com/trapgen.html

(there was also a trapgen.txt file on this site that listed all of the various command line options for trapgen.exe)

Good luck,
Ed Cox
Ed Cox
Respected Contributor

Re: SNMP Trap Automation

Hi Jerry,
I did something similar with the HP RDP product where I wanted the server to add itself to the SIM database once the OS was installed. Servers can add themselves to SIM if they can somehow trap to SIM (and you have a particular discovery setting checked in SIM as well).
So I Googled some utilities and found one called TrapGen. I would attach it to this thread but it's an .exe.
It's been awhile since I downloaded it, but I think this was the site:

http://www.ncomtech.com/trapgen.html

(there was also a trapgen.txt file on this site that listed all of the various command line options for trapgen.exe)

By the way...you may already be familiar with the Custom Commands you can run in SIM which can include running a batch file you mentioned in your post.

Good luck,
Ed Cox