New Discussion юеВ

SNMP and GPO settings for Disk Thresholds

SOLVED
Go to solution
Rnollen
Occasional Advisor

SNMP and GPO settings for Disk Thresholds

Dear All,

I am currently setting up a HP Sim environment for about 150 servers, all W2K and W2k3 machines.

Now I have some problems setting up the SNMP communication for altering the Disk Thresholds.
We currently have a GPO in use that sets the "Read Only" strings for the SNMP in the SNMP service on the Local Machines.

A question: Is it possible that I leave the settings in the SNMP service on the local machine untouched and on the SMH I add the Read/Write string on the SNMP page? So that I can save my Disk Thresshold settings?
Is it possible that the SMH does have other SNMP values then SNMP Service?
This because I cannot use the GPO to set Read/Write strings for the SNMP Service? I have tried to search the Internet for a custom ADM Script, but found none that works. If someone has an working example??

At this point none of the servers are able set the Disk Thresholds. On all the servers I can see the File Thresholds settings, but I cannot save any disk threshold settings. My thought was that this was a SNMP Issue. But our company wants to centrally deploy these settings through a GPO.

Thx in advance..
11 REPLIES 11
Albert Austin
Esteemed Contributor
Solution

Re: SNMP and GPO settings for Disk Thresholds

Hi,

"Is it possible that I leave the settings in the SNMP service on the local machine untouched and on the SMH I add the Read/Write string on the SNMP page? So that I can save my Disk Thresshold settings?
Is it possible that the SMH does have other SNMP values then SNMP Service?"

No, since they are the same. Any changes made on the SMH is also done in the services and vice-versa.

Rgds,

Albert
Rnollen
Occasional Advisor

So if I change these settings on the SMNP page of the SMH, the SNMP service also then knows these changes? And therefore I don't have to alter GPO SNMP settings?

Because I CAN change the SNMP settings on the SMH but I CANNOT change the SNMP settings on the SNMP service (Because of the GPO, I can disable this but then I have to change SNMP settings on 150 servers).
Aravindh Rajaram
Honored Contributor

Yes. Changes in the SMH page gets reflected in the SNMP service too.
Albert Austin
Esteemed Contributor

HI,

"So if I change these settings on the SMNP page of the SMH, the SNMP service also then knows these changes?"
Yes

"And therefore I don't have to alter GPO SNMP settings?"
Yes u dont have to alter GPO, BUT, I dont think its that simple, I dont have this issue in my environment but I would think even though you do make these changes in SMH, GPO restriction will not let you enforce this in your environment.

"(Because of the GPO, I can disable this but then I have to change SNMP settings on 150 servers)."

You dont need to go through such a long process, since with "Replicate Agent settings" in SIM you do these changes with ease.

Albert
Rnollen
Occasional Advisor

Perfect, but if I create an SNMP Read/Write instance through the SMH, then they don't appear in the SNMP Service Page?

But if the Read/Write community name is working, does anyone has an idea why I am not able to save the Disk Threshold settings for my server through the SMH ? If I have the Read/Write community string?
Albert Austin
Esteemed Contributor

As I mentioned in my last reply. Your GPO has the last word. So if you dont loosen your policy I dont really think it would work.

Albert
Rnollen
Occasional Advisor

@All
@Albert,

Thx for the replies...

I have altered the GPO and set de communities to "Not Configured". Now I can alter the Disktreshold settings on the HP Sim server. But the Disk Threshold settings on other servers doesn't work.

I have made a Read/Write string on those servers, but it doesn't work? Any idea's?

Thx in advance..
Albert Austin
Esteemed Contributor

"but it doesn't work?"

When you say it does not work, could you elaborate? IS it that the bar is not active?

This may be quite a silly question but do you have java installed on the server?

What I would suggest is to access host SMH through your SIM console. Since java is installed on your SIM server. See if that works.

Albert
Rnollen
Occasional Advisor

@Albert

No the bar is visible and java is working fine. But i have tried some servers now and on the W2k3 machines I can save the settings, but not yet on the W2K machines so there must be still something wrong there and I am going to look into that..

But it is going better and better, unfortunately i had to turn off the GPO settings for the Servers OU but this is the only "working" solution I think....