1751852 Members
5414 Online
108782 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: SNMP errors on ProCurve switches

JBruyet
Frequent Advisor

SNMP errors on ProCurve switches

Hey all, now that I have my SIM 5.3 setup I'm getting the following errors in the Event Logs in my switches:

W 06/25/09 16:13:55 snmp: SNMP Security access violation from 192.168.2.62
W 06/25/09 16:14:00 snmp: SNMP Security access violation from 192.168.2.62

The .62 address is where SIM is located. The switches are set to public for their community names. I did a packet sniff to see if maybe SIM was using something else for the community string but it's using public. I tried the help section in SIM but most of what I found was for setting up or configuring SNMP on a server. Out of curiosity I tried doing it that way but SIM skipped all of my switches:

Installation of agents and providers (DONE)......................... [SKIPPED]
Not a server.

Does anyone know what I can change so I'm not getting the SNMP Security Access errors in my switch Event Logs?

Thanks,

Joe B
6 REPLIES 6
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

Is the HPSIM Server an allowed host on the switch?
It may have the correct community name, but it may also need to be added as an allowed host.
I don't have procurve switches, but that's how our brocade switches work.
JBruyet
Frequent Advisor

Hmmm... I've never heard of an "Allowed Host" configuration option but I'll check it out.

Thanks,

Joe B
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

It may be called something different. But it is a standard SNMP mechanism for restricting access.
On our Brocade Switches they're Access Hosts.
JBruyet
Frequent Advisor

I found an option labeled "IP Authorized Managers" and set the IP address of my SIM there but I'm still getting the errors. I double-checked to see if there's any way to pull up details about the error but no joy.

Thanks,

Joe B
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

Maybe post on one of the Network Forums, someone may have resolved this for something else.
JBruyet
Frequent Advisor

I'll give that a shot. Thanks Rob.

Thanks,

Joe B