1748032 Members
4724 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: SNMP question for appliances

jsvader
Occasional Advisor

SNMP question for appliances

We run DNS appliances (Linux) that support SNMP and I would like to monitor the traps via SIM. I'm able to have them discovered via SIM but when I kick off a trap, I see SIM receives the event as Generic Unregistered and the severity is informational. I compiled the mibs and brought them into the DB successgully with out any errors. I have the version on the appliance set to version 1. I went to options --> events --> snmp trap settings and filled in the fields as needed. Any thoughts as to why the events dont come back with the description and severity configured in the SNMP Trap Settings?

MBCOMPILE:
F:\mibs>mcompile adonis-dns-mib.mib

HP Systems Insight Manager Mib Compiler, Version 5.0.2.1
Copyright (c) 2003-2006 Hewlett Packard Corporation

Compiling adonis-dns-mib.mib

Processing import file: SNMPv2-SMI.mib
Processing import file: SNMPv2-CONF.mib
Processing import file: BLUECATNETWORKS-MIB.mib
Mib Compilation completed successfully

F:\mibs>mxmib -a adonis-dns-mib.cfg

IMPORTING CFG adonis-dns-mib.cfg
COMMAND COMPLETED SUCCESSFULLY
6 REPLIES 6
jsvader
Occasional Advisor

I just tried setting the SNMP version to v2 and I dont even see the trap coming in. I believe I read somewhere that SIM only uses v1...
jsvader
Occasional Advisor

I just tried setting the SNMP version to v2 and I dont even see the trap coming in. I believe I read somewhere that SIM only uses v1...
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

I'd stick with V1, but you seem to have done things right. I'd check the details of the trap as registered by HPSIM and ensure it is in the MIB you've compiled. Maybe the MIB is out of date.
jsvader
Occasional Advisor

Rob,

I think I may have stumbled upon the issue and I was wondering if its possible to leave the MIBs and CFG files I need in a sub directory? I believe we have some conflicting MIBs and I dont want/cant to overwrite them.

I would like to put my mibs in f:\...\HP\Systems Insight Manager\mibs\custom. Would SIM be able to see the the MIBs or CFG if I placed them in the custom dir?
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

When you use the mxmib command, it sucks the MIB into the HP SIM database. Thereafter, the files on disk are no longer needed. So, no, they do not need to reside in a specific directory.
jsvader
Occasional Advisor

Thanks. Are there any logs to see why the snmp trap is coming in as generic unregistered?