Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SNMP settings info

Gary Head
Occasional Advisor

SNMP settings info

Hi All
this is not a question but something I found I thought I should mention. I am running SIM 5.4 and when I place the SNMP comunity strings into the global protocol settings there apear to be being ignored, however when I imput the same strings on an individual servers manual imput box for the SNMP strings they work fine.
As I said I do not need help but thought it only fair to point out my findings.

Thanks Gary
3 REPLIES
Fabio Ettore
Honored Contributor

Re: SNMP settings info

Hi Gary,

thanks for that info. Effectively it's needed to struggle with SNMP configuration. If SNMP functionality doesn't work as expected SIM might have a lot of problems to comunicate to managed nodes. Last problem about SNMP that I faced was some time ago on a bad SNMP configuration onto HP-UX managed nodes to give problems.

Best regards,
Fabio
WISH? IMPROVEMENT!
Numy
Frequent Advisor

Hi Gary, thanks for the info. If you have time can you describe briefly how you proved that out? I don't think I am seeing that problem on my 5.4 install and wanted to test and be certain with whatever approach you took. Thanks again!
Gary Head
Occasional Advisor

Hi Numy
This is how it came to my attention. I have only recently taken on the management of our Insight system. When I first took it on it was version 4.1 and I upgraded it to 5.4. I found that the SNMP comunity strings had not been placed in the majority of servers so I set it manually in the server I had been using to research how SIM works. When I did this and rescaned the hardware and software it populated the majority of missing information apertaining to the server in the SIM CMS. I then set this info in the global protocol settings on the CMS and tried scanning another server, this time it did not return any extra info. I checked that the global protocol setting had populated the field on the server and it had. I then changed the SNMP field to use the manually input settings excately the same as they were in th global setting and tried rescanning again. This time the extra info was returned. Hope this helps

Cheers Gary