108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: SNMP to WBEM

SOLVED
Go to solution
Michigan Dave
Advisor

SNMP to WBEM

First off, if there's a way to search the forum for key words. Let me know.

We want to phase out SNMP and start using WBEM. Even though the configuration shows we're using WBEM, I cannot stop SNMP without stopping the other HP SIM software installed on the server. Do I have something configured wrong?
5 REPLIES 5
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor
Solution

Nope, you don't have anything wrong.
At the moment I'd say WBEM isn't completely there yet. SNMP still provides a bit more data.
You can just reconfigure SNMP to have no allowed hosts.
You'll also need to ensure you can subscribe successfully to the wbem events before dropping the SNMP Trap send destination. I've not gone that far, so I don't know if that'll give you enough info from the agents.
Predator
Trusted Contributor

Hi Michigan Dave,

To answer your first line, goto "Forums advanced search".

Some Agents like HP foundation agents and so are having dependency over SNMP service. So while stopping SNMP will infact stop agents too (not all).

Thnx
Predator.
Rob Mills
Frequent Advisor

I have a script that I run as a Custom Tool that changes the SNMP settings, then stops all the foundation agents, then stop/starts the SNMP service. I want the agents turned off because they will continue to report things to the ILO and SIM when I don't want them to. For instance, if I am only using 1 of the 2 NICs, the Foundation Agents will report an error, you can tell WBEM to ignore it, but if the foundation agents are running, your SIM status and SMH status will never agree. Remember though, if you install new agents as part of a PSP, they may get turned back on.

The SNMP needs to still be on because the VCA needs it (apparently, I have not tested this).

you then need to have an account that WBEM can use, run Manage Communications to get it setup.

If WBEM is not there yet, it is DARN close. According to any HP person I've talked to they are really recommending it as the way to go. WBEM is even doing pre-failure now, which was a reason we had waited. It would be nice if more 3rd party stuff was WBEM too though.
Michigan Dave
Advisor

thanks guys
Michigan Dave
Advisor

thanks guys