1752812 Members
5993 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: SNMP traps not received from Environmental Monitor

Bill Gushue
Frequent Advisor

SNMP traps not received from Environmental Monitor

Another office has installed a WallBotz 500 (http://www.netbotz.com) and has configured snmp alerts to be sent to my HP SIM 5.0 server. I have performed a manual discovery and all seems well, except I don't seem to be receiving any traps?

1. After sending a test trap (from any system, for that matter), is there a log on the HP SIM server that will tell me the trap has been received.

2. Is there anything special I have to do to get alerts sent from this environmental monitor to work with HP SIM?

Thanks.
15 REPLIES 15
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

Have you registered a MIB for the device? Without a MIB, HP SIM will disregard the traps. You can confirm receipt of them (without translation) by enabling 'Accept unregistered traps' in Options --> Events.
Bill Gushue
Frequent Advisor

No, I haven't registered a MIB for the device, basically 'cause I didn't know how. I'm looking at some help documents now. Is the MIB I have to register located in SIM, or is this something I have to get from the Device vendor somewhere?

Also, I enabled 'Accept unregistered traps' and sent a test and I did indeed receive the alert (via Email also - good). Now, does this mean I'll get other alerts from this device, or do I still have to register a MIB (which, I assume, I'd want to do anyway).

Thanks for the speedy reply!
Bill Gushue
Frequent Advisor

Okay, I think I have something. I found a MIB file on the NetBotz download site. I want to make sure I know what I'm doing before I try this.

First, the mib file was an html page, so I "saved as" to a text file. The name of the file is netbotzv2_mib.txt (I added the .txt extension). It's attached.

Now, what should the name of the file be - netbotzv2.mib? Or does it even matter as long as there is a .mib extension?

Next, if I read the instructions correctly, I run "mcompile netbotzv2.mib". Does this then create a cfg file?

I then run "mxmib -a netbotzv2.cfg" - assuming it is created by mcompile.

Do I have this correct? Is there any way of possibly damaging the database, or if this doesn't work, I can just unregister it?

Thank you very much.
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

The worst that seems to happen is that you cannot register them.
Not all MIB formats seem to compile. The fact it's a two stage process tends to protect the database.
Bill Gushue
Frequent Advisor

Well, I knew it would be too easy. I ran mcompile and received the following error:

Line: 28: Error defining registration: Invalid parent label or subid
Mib compilation failed.

Here's line 28:

::= { enterprises 5528 100 1 }

...and here's some lines around it, if it helps:

DESCRIPTION
"NetBotz BotzWare V2.x MIB"
REVISION "200509260000Z" -- 26 September 2005
DESCRIPTION "Added index columns"
::= { enterprises 5528 100 1 }

netBotz OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= { enterprises 5528 }
netBotzV2 OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::= { netBotz 100 }

Any ideas on what the problem might be, or how I can fix it? Can I simply remark this entire "Description?" Sorry, but I don't know enough about mib files.

Thanks again.
kc2kth
Frequent Advisor

Hi Bill,

This doc may be of some help, at least with the compiling and importing of mibs for SIM.

http://www.hp.com/wwsolutions/misc/hpsim-helpfiles/simsnmp.pdf
Bill Gushue
Frequent Advisor

Thank you, I'll look at it. Dumb question, though - does HP SIM 5.0 support snmp v2? I assume it would, but...
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

You should be able to compile v2 mibs into HPSIM. Well the docs say you can.
Bill Gushue
Frequent Advisor

Yes, I read the doc and of course it answered most of the questions I've already asked - sorry 'bout that.

Anyway, I compared some mibs with this one and I decided to delete the whole section, but then it errored on another line (1844). So I decided to simply remark out line 1844 and then it stopped at 1867, which I remarked out and it stopped again at another line. So you can obviously see where this is going, as this is a large mib. Not to mention that the lines I'm removing are all related to temperature alerts, which is exactly what the admin who runs this wants to monitor.

Each time I get the same "Invalid parent labelor sub id" error. I don't know what the "parent label" refers to.

I'm gonna try to get some help from the vendor itself.