cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SQL transaction log grows rapidly

PhilC_1
Advisor

SQL transaction log grows rapidly

Hi - my DBA has reported that the transaction log file for my HP SIM v6.2 installation grows has grown rapidly on two occasions recently. Both times it was in the early hours of a Sunday morning. We're using SQL2008 R2. The database is on a seperate server to HP SIM - this runs on a Windows 2008 R2 server.

I suspect a scheduled task is causing the issue, but looking through them I can't see which one would have caused it. Has anyone else experienced anything similar?

I've attached some screenshots - thanks.

3 REPLIES
jim goodman
Trusted Contributor

Re: SQL transaction log grows rapidly

Hey Phil - a lot of different things cause that to blow up, especially if you are noticing a particular schedule. Apart of Schedule Tasks, could be auto-discoveries, other agents, back up solution even can create a problem as well. Hard to tell without  digging into your network activities and even CMS logs.

In anycase the best way to deal with growing transaction logs it is to simply set SQL Recovery Mode to Simple and then your back up solution should cut that log file down after the back up. For SIM you really don't need to worry about recovering transaction logs if you need to restore since the data in the database doesn't change all that much.

PhilC_1
Advisor

Thanks - I've passed your comments over to my DBA team and I'll let you know what they say.

Phil

jim goodman
Trusted Contributor

Please do