1753477 Members
4692 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

SSHD errors in event log when the HP SIM service starts

Sean Wheeler
Advisor

SSHD errors in event log when the HP SIM service starts

I get the following errors in the event log of the CMS when I start the HP SIM service:

Time: 12:04:43 HP Systems Insight Manager started.
Time: 12:05:00 sshd : PID 1932 : Did not receive identification string from
Time: 12:05:01 sshd : PID 4660 : Illegal user root from .
Time: 12:05:01 sshd : PID 4660 : input_userauth_request: illegal user root.
Time: 12:05:01 sshd : PID 4660 : Failed none for illegal user root from port 2802 ssh2.
Time: 12:05:01 sshd : PID 4660 : Received disconnect from : 11: The user disconnected the application.

I have successfully logged using putty through SSH with both the local administrator account and the domain administrator account I used to install HP SIM.

I am running the Central Management Server
on a Windows 2000 Server box. The version is HP SIM 5 SP 4.

Has anybody else seen these error in event logs?
4 REPLIES 4
Numy
Frequent Advisor

Re: SSHD errors in event log when the HP SIM service starts

Sean, just to give you a quick reply, I am seeing this in my Application Event logs as well. Didn't even notice them until you pointed them out. Same thing happening here and I cannot find the associated PIDs that it references at all either.

I'm also running SIM 5.4 but on W2K3.
Sean Wheeler
Advisor

Thanks Numy,
I couldn't find the Process IDs either I assume the processes terminate after failing to log in.

I have checked the "\Program Files\OpenSSH\etc\sshd_config" file and PermitRootLogin is set to yes. So root should be able to login.

I have tried to log in with the root account but I dont know the password I have tried the Local admin password and "rootme".

Does anyone know why HPSIM is trying to log onto the server through ssh as root?
Daniyar
Occasional Advisor

I have these errors during HP SIM start (ver 5.0 latest patch) and then once an hour. It looks like it also use my admin account and because I changed it, it locks it every hour of so. It is a real pain. I check all WEB GUI settings, but can not find a place where a can alter this setting.
Daniyar
Occasional Advisor

There a document that explains how to alter some SSH settings from command line.

http://h10018.www1.hp.com/wwsolutions/misc/hpsim-helpfiles/hpsim_5_ssh.pdf

I think the problem is somewhere in bypass user settings, because I discovered my admin account there.