5712 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Security Concern

Mike Ng
Advisor

Security Concern

Hi,

I am using both Win2K and Windows 2003 for my managed system. Under Services, SNMP Properties, Agent tab. There are options for

Physical
Applications
Datalink and subnetwork
Internet
End-to-end

What are they and whether we need them ? Thanks.

My purpose is for security reason, and will tick only the bare minimum. Pls see attached file.

Thanks.
4 REPLIES 4
Daniel Leblanc
Honored Contributor

Physical: Specifies that the computer manages any physical TCP/IP devices, such as a hard disk partition or a repeater.

Applications: Specifies whether this computer uses any programs that send data by using TCP/IP, such as electronic mail.

Datalink and subnetwork: Specifies whether this computer manages a TCP/IP subnetwork or datalink, such as a bridge.

Internet: Specifies whether this computer acts as an IP gateway (router).

End-to-end: Specifies whether this computer acts as an IP host.

NOTE: If you have installed additional TCP/IP network devices, such as a switch or a router, you should view the following RFC 1213 Web site for additional information:

IF you want more info go to Microsoft web site
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;q315154&sd=tech
or
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324263
Mike Ng
Advisor

Thanks, Daniel.

Let say, INTERNET is checked (specifies whether this computer acts as an IP gateway (router).

With this option checked, all TCP/IP traffic can make use of this server to pass thru traffic, which is what we do not want as it impact performance and for security concern (hacking).

Can u give insight into this few option. Thanks.

Craig McK
Trusted Contributor

Is this setting not just to specify that this is what the device does, as opposed to actually configuring it as a router/gateway?
Daniel Leblanc
Honored Contributor

Look we all check this items,but we uses SNMP+IPsec(using KerberoseV5 incryption), so ever goes over 161/162 port is secure.