Server Management - Systems Insight Manager
1752600 Members
4566 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Sending SNMP Traps to another location - what software do I need for the server

tacallaghan

Sending SNMP Traps to another location - what software do I need for the server

I have a management server that collect SNMP traps. I have a mix of HP servers, including HP LH6000, LH3000, Proliant ML570 and several other Proliants.

I see there is Top Tools, Insight Manager, SIM, etc. What do I need to just forward the traps to my management server (which is not a HP box or software).

Thanks in Advance.
3 REPLIES 3
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

Re: Sending SNMP Traps to another location - what software do I need for the server

The mix of Servers send the traps. SNMP can send traps to multiple destinations. Configuring SNMP depends on the OS which you don't mention. And depending on how the OS was installed, SNMP may not even be installed.

If HPSIm is already the target for your snmp traps then the Event notifications can be configured to forward the events detected as snmp traps elsewhere.

Note that generally a Server will need some kind of monitoring agents to pick up the issue which then gets an SNMP trap generated. SNMP is just the delivery agent for traps it does not pick up faults.
tacallaghan

All servers are running W2k and SNMP is installed and configured. I need the SNMP traps to be sent to a Mgmt Server which is a home grown application, not a HP program, and is a physically separate server.

So I guess I am trying to figure out, what agent I need on these HP Servers that will collect the fault information and create the SNMP trap that will get sent out to my Mgmt Server. Am I looking for Top Tools, Insight Manager, etc.

The new Proliant (ML570 I think it is) I have working. This has SIM loaded. But I am looking for what software/agent I need to load on the other machines to get this to work. Can I load the same software that this new server has, or does it have to be specific to the model?
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

That's what the HP Management Agents do, they'd generally be installed as part of a Smart Start installation.
They gather the info. and pass it to SNMP.

If you did not use Smart Start then either install the entire Proliant Support Pack from the SS CD or download the latest Proliant Support pack and install that.

See:
http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/index.html