108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Sending custom traps to SIM

SOLVED
Go to solution
Brent Sowers
Advisor

Sending custom traps to SIM

I have a script that does some custom monitoring on my Proliant servers, and I would like to have this script send SNMP traps to HP SIM when certain things happen. I'm a little confused as to how I can get HP SIM to recognize the trap, I've already tried sending some and nothing shows up in HP SIM. Do I need to create a new MIB file for HP SIM containing the details on the traps that I will be sending? Also how will it deal with the enterprise ID? The computer that the notifications will be coming from is an HP Proliant server, but I don't want to have to use HP's enterprise identifier, I want to use my company's identifier.
4 REPLIES 4
David Claypool
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Sending custom traps to SIM

Yes, you will need to create a MIB to compile and register in HP SIM that will translate the raw OID and any varbinds into a message that can be placed in HP SIM's event lists. Without that, HP SIM considers this an 'unregistered event' which by default it ignores. You can change this in Options --> Events --> Event filter settings, and then your raw OID should show up.
Brent Sowers
Advisor

The event still doesn't show up when I enable unregistered events. I've verified that my script is actually sending out an SNMP trap by sending the trap to another computer that I have set up to listen for traps, and the trap does show up there. Can you think of any reason why it wouldn't show up?

I managed to get a MIB file to compile using mcompile, and then I used mxmib -a to add the cfg file to HP SIM. I still can't get the trap to show up in HP SIM. I have a few questions though.

Once you use mcompile, does HP SIM ever look at the MIB file again? The reason I ask is because I had to change the tree structure of my trap, and I figured it would be easier just to edit the cfg file instead of the mib file. This is a custom script that I will only be using with HP SIM, so I don't really care if the definition of my trap is in a format that only HP SIM recognizes.
Brent Sowers
Advisor

Disregard my last message, it turns out my script wasn't actually sending the alert. After I fixed my script, the trap showed up correctly. HP SIM recognized the specific trap that I set up in my cfg file.
Brent Sowers
Advisor

See my above replies