cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sending external email notifications thru Exchange 2003

Rich Heffernan
Occasional Visitor

Sending external email notifications thru Exchange 2003

I've configured Automatic Event Handling to send emails upon certain events. Emails are successfully sent to and received by all internal email recipients, but not to external, out-of-domain, addresses. I believe the problem is related to our prohibiting of mail relay. Could someone more familiar with email systems please confirm this or lend me some guidance.

Thanks
3 REPLIES
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

Re: Sending external email notifications thru Exchange 2003

Not really the forum for this. But I think you're going to need to look at how your Exchange server relays messages and whether it is allowed to.
In essence you're asking it to relay a message from the HPSIM server. Typically that will not be enabled.
There could well be other blocks on e-mail going out from your infrastructure, whatevers at the outside edge may only permit mail that looks like it has come from specific hosts out, again that will fail as the HPSIm server may not be in the list.
frank vandebergh
Frequent Advisor

You'll need to change the relay settings:

in exchange system manager point to first Administrative group > Servers > your mailserver name > protocols > SMTP > default SMTP virtual server or something like that. Then go to delivery restrictions tab > relay restrictions. There should be a box titled "only the list below" and probably that list is empty. You'll need to add the internal ip address of the sim server.
Rich Heffernan
Occasional Visitor

Thank you all.

Rich