108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Sensor Temperature's field "NULL" in DB

SOLVED
Go to solution
Bill Slobodnik
Frequent Advisor

Sensor Temperature's field "NULL" in DB

The database table "CIM_Sensor" has a field titled "Current Reading" which shows as NULL for all servers (1800+) in the HPSIM DB. I would like to be able to populate this field for reporting purposes. Is there any adjustments I need to make on the CMS or the clients to enable this?
8 REPLIES 8
David Claypool
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Sensor Temperature's field "NULL" in DB

HP SIM only stores relatively static values (i.e. non-dynamic) in its database. This is a field that is part of the Common Information Model schema. It would be prohibitively costly in terms of network utilization to attempt to retrieve this value across the wire on a timely basis (<5 min frequency) on your 1800+ systems.

HP ProLiant servers have a dedicated Advanced Systems Management Controller that checks temperature sensors (depending on model, ProLiant servers have between 2 and 8 sensors) and measures them against the thresholds. When one of these is crossed, the ASMC performs a pre-selected thermal-degraded action and notifies HP SIM via SNMP trap.
Bill Slobodnik
Frequent Advisor

Thanks, I was afraid of that. Are the temperature thresholds adjustable? Ideally if creating reports showing current temperatures is not possible, than lowering the threshold for degraded state may give us more time to react to an overheating situation.
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

There are 2 thresholds, warning and critical. When you receive warning you have time to react before it goes critical. The values are not adjustable.
Bill Slobodnik
Frequent Advisor

thanks. Strike two. One more try: has anyone had any success in scripting a process that would pull the Current Readings from the sensors? I am looking to track internal temperatures on a daily basis by taking daily snapshots.
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

You would be better off with an environment monitor. You can't infer much from the internal temperatures.
Bill Slobodnik
Frequent Advisor

50 percent of the servers are in 400+ remote locations, so sadly that is not an option.
Ryan Blace
Occasional Contributor

I'm just throwing it out there, but I'm betting there is an OID in the MIB for internal temp. You could script a doodad in something like perl to generate an html page on some webserver somewhere that may give you the report you are looking for. You could go one step further and have it shoot off an email based on some simple thresholds without too much effort. I'm doing something very similiar for disk space (WMI) in vbscript.
Bill Slobodnik
Frequent Advisor

That is the direction we are working now, thanks.