1753923 Members
8737 Online
108810 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Server Health Status Notifications Setup

mac1234
Advisor

Server Health Status Notifications Setup

I am currently testing out HPSIM in a Windows envrionment and have a question regarding setting up Email notifications for server health status.

I have setup the CMS and have managed to deploy an agent to 1 server. From SIM console I can see that there is both events and health status and it just so happens there is 1 minor health event that is showing up on the client server It looks like I can only setup notifications to events and not health status though.

Basically, I am wanting to receive email notices when hardware errors are detected. I have installed the Management Agent using the WBEM option. Should I be using SNMP, does the WBEM method not support sending status changes to the events on SIM?

I did just find on the client server that there is a "Test WBEM Event Tool" that looks like it sends test events. Are these events that will show up in SIM events? The tests however fail to be sent with a generic error "root\HPQ\TestConnectionError at ."

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
2 REPLIES 2
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

Re: Server Health Status Notifications Setup

As you're discovering SIM creates Events at the time of an issue being discovered.
WBEM can create Events, just like SNMP. The mechanism is different, you need to "Subscribe to WBEM Events" found under Options->Events

If you have subscribed to the Events, then yes, test events should get to HPSIM.

Ensure you're on the latest version of the PSP as there are constant improvements to WBEM.
In addition, for Server management, WBEM does seem to be the way HPSIM is going.
But you'll need SNMP for switches etc.
mac1234
Advisor

Re: Server Health Status Notifications Setup

Thanks for the response. You have given me a good path to research. I will now look into PSP...

Just so I am clear, you mention the Proliant Support Pack should be updated, but I do not have the PSP installed on this client server.

When I first tried pushing the agent to this server the install failed and said I needed to install one of the Proliant Management Controller Drivers. I in turn found and installed the iLO Management Driver and tried the agent again with success.

This brings me to another question:
What is the best path to take to get a server ready for management by SIM? Most of the servers in my shop have been built from scratch and have no HP Software of anykind on them. Should I install the PSP? Does PSP include Controller Drivers and everything else that might be needed?

I guess what I'm looking for is an easy 1,2,3 method to getting a server ready for the SIM agent and ready to be monitored by SIM.

To be honest I was expecting the SIM guides to be a little more informative on what software is needed on a monitored machine as the info leading up to this test made SIM appear as if it is the easiest monitoring software to install and use ever created (which maybe it is), but oh the joys of learning a new product!