Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Servers with Secondary IP Addresses

Chris Kelada
Occasional Contributor

Servers with Secondary IP Addresses

Hi,
I have a few servers running Windows Server 2003 and they have secondary IP addresses configured on the primary interface. The problem we get is that when the systems are discovered by HP SIM, they are appearing with the details of the secondary IP address.

e.g. the servers host name is "Server1" with an ip address of 10.0.0.1 and has a secondary address of 10.0.0.2. The secondary address is configured to resolve the name "server1-ftp". HP SIM is displaying the secondary name in the console.

Does anybody know how to ensure HP SIM only reports on the primary adapters details? I have tried to "bind" the agents to the primary address but the discovery is still picking up all addresses and selecting the wrong name to display in the console... Help would be appreciated for this tricky one ;)

Thanks.
3 REPLIES
Ananthak23
Trusted Contributor

Re: Servers with Secondary IP Addresses

Try discovering these servers with their primary ip address alone.

-Anantha
Matthew J Warrick
Frequent Advisor

I have issues like this as well and use "auto" discovery on the primary interfaces only. Occasionally I just manually edit the name to what I want anyway so my console is more friendly.
"Did you get that memo?"
(VJ)
Advisor

Hi Chris

I used to experience the same problem on both Windows 2000 and 2003 Servers when I was running PSP 7.40A!

The HP System Management Home Page in PSP 7.40A had a bug which was fixed in Ver 2.1.3.132 of HP System Management Home Page which can be downloaded from http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/23560.html?jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN

The above described problem was also fixed in any later releases of PSP, PSP 7.40B and later.

Cheers
Vjeko