5653 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Setting SNMP read/write community on Windows servers

Adam X. White
Advisor

Setting SNMP read/write community on Windows servers

Hi all

Using HP SIM 6.0 to manage Windows Server 2003. Originally I configured SNMP for the Windows servers using Group Policy to set only a Read Only community but then I discovered I also need a Read Write community to enable SIM disk threshold monitoring.

I removed the SNMP settings from Group Policy and now I can see a long random looking SNMP R/W string on the servers which I presume SIM created. However on all except one server when I try to apply a disk space threshold I get the error "could not set the disk threshold, the agent did not respond".

I have used "Manage Communications\Quick Repair" in SIM to enable "set traps to refer to this instance of HP Systems Insight Manager" but that doesn't make any difference. If I delete the random R/W string from the server and then run Quick Repair again, it does not create a new R/W string on the server (even though the task succeeds).

How can I force HP SIM to create a new R/W string on the server which it can use to manage disk thresholds?

Thanks
Adam
3 REPLIES 3
PNair
Frequent Advisor

Adam,

The Read-Write community is created when you set the Read community string. The note in the UI seems to be misplaced.

Try running Quick Repair or Configure->Configure or Repair with setting the SNMP community string.

Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

RW SNMP is not done down the wire. My understanding is that the server just needs a RW Community name for Localhost. not sure if that community name needs to be the one on HPSIM or not.
PNair
Frequent Advisor

HP SIM does creates Read-Write community string automatically on the managed Windows server if it does not exits on the managed system if the user selects to configure SNMP community string via the Configure or Repair Agent tool.

The tool will add the read community string if not already added and it will also create a read-write string (randomly created) in the managed server.