1753969 Members
7033 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Setting Thresholds in HP SIM

Andrew Affleck
Occasional Contributor

Setting Thresholds in HP SIM

Can someone tell me if I need to set specific thresholds on each individual system that reports to Insight Manager, or is there an option within the Insight Manager Homepage to set thresholds on "x" amount of servers to a specific value?

And can thresholds be set as a combination ie only log an event when cpu 1 reaches 80% and memory dimm 1 reaches 70%?
5 REPLIES 5
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

You can set Disk Thresholds via HPSIM using the Configure -> Disk Thresholds option.
You could set up a server with the correct CPU and Pagefile usage thresholds and then use the Replicate Settings feature to replicate these settings to a number of Servers.

There is no DIMM usage threshold as such, excessive Memory usage would be tracked via Pagefile usage.

The settings can be individually set.
Maurice Skubski_1
Valued Contributor

only for disk space possible (which also works only with SIM Agent who supports this option). maybe we will have it also for CPU and Memory in one of the next releases ... ms
Micah H

Has this changed at all in 2008? I am struggling to find a way from SIM to push out thresholds for memory and processor utilization. I would think it should be as intuitive as the "Disk Thresholds" option in the "Configure" dropdown, but no such luch.

Additionally, is there an easy way to change the duration to consider the threshold (i.e. processor must be at 100% utilization for 5 minutes) or is that predefined and not worth the effort to adjust? If it is pre-defined, is there documentation that explains the details of those thresholds? I haven't been able to find that either.
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

"One size fits all" isn't a very useful approach to thresholds, with the possible exception of disk thresholds where when you're getting close to x% full you need to know about it (although it's also been pointed out that 90% of a 200GB volume is a whole lot more critical than 90% of a 1TB volume). For that reason, only disk thresholds are "broadcast" in HP SIM.

For all practical purposes, most thresholds aren't very useful in oscillating values. Additionally, most values aren't useful unless put into context. Because of this, the Performance Management Pack (http://www.hp.com/go/insightcontrol) utilizes multiple samples to make a determination and alert on performance issues and also correlates multiple metrics to determine whether there is a performance bottleneck or not.
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

"One size fits all" isn't a very useful approach to thresholds, with the possible exception of disk thresholds where when you're getting close to x% full you need to know about it (although it's also been pointed out that 90% of a 200GB volume is a whole lot more critical than 90% of a 1TB volume). For that reason, only disk thresholds are "broadcast" in HP SIM.

For all practical purposes, most thresholds aren't very useful for oscillating values. Additionally, most values aren't useful unless put into context. Because of this, the Performance Management Pack (http://www.hp.com/go/insightcontrol) utilizes multiple samples to make a determination and alert on performance issues and also correlates multiple metrics to determine whether there is a performance bottleneck or not.