108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Setting up Disk Threshold Alerts

SOLVED
Go to solution
rob45_1
Occasional Advisor

Setting up Disk Threshold Alerts

Without trying to flog a dead horse, I want simple instructions on setting up Disk Thresholds and subsequent alerts.

1. Install cpqthrsh.mib on SIM server.

2. From SIM Configure > Disk Thresholds > Set
(This works fine) I can see the thresholds in File System Space Used (FSSU)

3. Create Automatic Event which on receipt of

event type is Proliant Storage Events and type name is Rising Threshold Passed (10003)

event type is Proliant Storage Events and type name is Rising Threshold Passed (10005)

4. Toggle disk space slider to warning or critical.

5. Manually run the Hardware Status Polling.

Now I see the event logged on the windows server, and I see the event in SIM on the server. However on the server I do not see the FSSU turn degraded. Also I do not get an email alert.

What could be going wrong?
5 REPLIES 5
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

Re: Setting up Disk Threshold Alerts

That's not how it works.
when the threshold is passed the HPAgent on the server generates an SNMP Trap which is sent to HPSIM.
Depending on what alerts you have set up for the events you'll be e-mailed etc.
the hardware polling does not pick up where thresholds have been exceeded.

You can write a report to extract the data from the database and use that for management. I run a weekly report that reports on any servers where disk usage is over 80%.
rob45_1
Occasional Advisor

Thanks Rob, okay so this would point to an SNMP problem?

However, should I still not see the the Overall System Status change to a yellow\red degraded status? This is what is confusing me.

Thanks
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor
Solution

No, a breached threshold doesn't change the HW flag.
When the threshold is initially crossed only then will the agent send a trap. It won't send again unless it fell below the threshold and then went back over or the agent is restarted.

If you want to test the mechanism there's an SNMP Trap send button on the HP Management Agents GUI (via Control Panel) using this should generate a Major Event.
That will test if SNMP is sending traps or not.
rob45_1
Occasional Advisor

Thanks Rob. Thats cleared that up for me. I couldn`t find a definitive answer in any of the documentation.
rob45_1
Occasional Advisor

Thread Closed